Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro iv HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RexxRokket, Jan 3, 2014.

1. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Well maybe the tittle sounds too dramatic... but I just wanna get rid of somedoubt I have. Thing is that I've read that the Epiphone T-bird classic pro iv has a 7-ply neck then some ppl have written that it has a 9-ply neck... so if whoever can help me with this I will be very grateful =). (Thing is that im buying one next week haha:hyper:)
  2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

3. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Thanks man, but again, I've read that some ppl say that this is a 9 ply not a 7 even tho if there are the specs avaliable on any site...
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

Yeah, some say it's 9 ply

No: it's 7 ply, I can assure you and everybody out there it's just like that

At least if we're talkin' Epiphone Thunderbird Pro;)

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cyberpunk409

cyberpunk409

epiphone are 100% wrong on their website, I hope this pic of my recently acquired Epiphone Thunderbird Classic-IV PRO settles all arguments.
    (note: it is not the same model as the Epiphone Thunderbird Pro)

[​IMG]
  7. cyberpunk409

cyberpunk409

oops, came out a bit small, hope this one is better...
    [​IMG]
  8. Mark4

Mark4

The Classic Pro is 9 ply. I say this because I have one and the fact that every other Classic Pro I've seen is also 9 ply.
  9. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Really? even the active thunderbird pro ones?
  10. cyberpunk409

cyberpunk409

As I stated above; the Epiphone Thunderbird Classic-IV PRO and the Epiphone Thunderbird PRO-IV are 2 completely different basses.

If it has the word CLASSIC in it, it's 9 ply with Gibson passive pickups.

If it does NOT have the word CLASSIC in it, it's the 7 ply with active pickups.
  11. cyberpunk409

cyberpunk409

And just to confuse matters more, I wouldn't even technically call the Epiphone Thunderbird PRO-IV a 7 ply neck through anyways, since only 5 of the 7 ply's run the entire length of the neck... I'd call it a 5-ply neckthrough construction.
  12. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Thats pretty awesome imo, as long as it has the 9 ply neck... what else differs from the Gibson? 9-ply neck, gibson TB + humbuckers. Hmmm, I think Gibson t birds has Schaller tuners and a different trussrod... would be that the only difference then?
  13. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Nitro vs poly finish. Electronics like pots might differ. Also domestic vs foreign manufacture.
  14. cyberpunk409

cyberpunk409

I'm still on a mission to work this out for myself...

I think from what I've seen and read, these are some of the differences;
    - neck angle relative to body
    - headstock break angle
    - the way in which the mahogany wings of the body are glued to the neckthrough construction (Gibson uses a V shaped glue technique)
    - pots and input jack (easily replaced)
    - wood quality (obviously cheaper species of mahogany on the epi)
    - finish (poly vs nitro)
    - and the ones you mentioned
  15. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

Confirming cyberpunk409's last sentence at least....

My own Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV, ie. the one with active electronics, has a 7 ply neck.
  16. Mark4

Mark4

If the neck and body angles are different, then they're subtle enough for me not to notice. In what ways would you say they differ?

Both use the v-shaped glue technique for the wings.

Differences I've noticed:

- The Gibson has a nitro finish, whereas the Epi is shot with poly.
    - The Epi has what looks to me like more of a '60s pickup orientation, as they're closer to the bridge.
    - The neck heel area on the Epi is more squared off, whereas the Gibson is more rounded.
    - The Gibson has a slightly more angular body shape, whereas the Epi is slightly more rounded.
    - The Epi has somewhat improved upper fret access.
    - The Gibson has a little nub on the bottom of the headstock detail.
    - The Epi's tuners and bridge are Epiphone hardware, whereas the Gibson uses Grovers etc.