Epiphone Thunderbird IV. Mods? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grunge_freak, Mar 3, 2014.

1. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

I am the lucky owner of one of these basses and I love it. I used to have a jaguar bass, and thought that the Jaguar was the true jack-of-all-trades of the bass world.

Well, I got this thunderbird used off of a friend of mine and haven't looked back. Not to discount the jaguar at all but I just like everything about this bass better. Achievable tones, neck, action, it suits my style of playing perfectly. Threw some ernie ball hybrid slinkies on and this baby sings. Any recommendations about future aftermarket parts that would sound nice? Or just any thoughts on this bass in general, I don't know anyone else who owns one.

2. Apolicious

Apolicious

Maybe a new bone nut, but hey - if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

3. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

after jamming for a few hours just now, I think you're right. at least for the time being I don't wana change a thing. this bass is so comfortable and the action is set real nice for me, I'm just gona keep at it the way it is

4. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Here's some parts you can put on: Hipshot ultralite tuners (to balance the headstock), new bridge? Hipshot supertone, though 3 point is actually functionable, just in case you wanna change it, thunderbuckers pick up (go to thunderbird club for more questions).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bradley meatcleaver

bradley meatcleaver

I moved both strap buttons. Moved the jack to the side. Got a hipshot Supertone.

Attached Files:

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Hey, I like mine.
    I refuse to call it a G__th and consider it a black T-bird IV. Simple mod, but at least it's not the same old same old.
    Seriously, sometimes a different pickguard can do wonders…especially one of the really nice ones they have at pickguardparadise.com
    I do have Deep Sixx pickups that I'll eventually have put in, though.

8. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

I have a supertone bridge, ultralight tuners w/a drop d, and carved a bone nut for mine. I like the supertone but apparently Babicz is making a bridge for these now that looks interesting.

bradley meatcleaver likes this.
  9. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

-03 Korean.

[​IMG]

The pic was taken before I installed a 3-way switch.

Strap button moved:

[​IMG]

The neck-pocket / -heel routed for more contact area:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A control cavity routed under the PG:

[​IMG]

Don't have a pic, but one of the aluminium string posts sheared its splines off, so I made a new post out of steel.

Regards
    Sam

10. anavar

anavar

i love the look of the tbirds.

just wondering if a 4 banger with 60-130 strings tuned to low b would work. and i suppose i am worried abouts the tbird tone, i am so used to my warwicks. Im scared that i wont like the tbird sound.

i guess enough sansamp driver would fix that anyway.