Epiphone Thunderbird vs Pro IV model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Jan 28, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Anyone compared the 2? The shop by me has a normal one for $249, but not the Pro. The pro has a slimmer neck and is neck through and better humbuckers. He said he will keep an eye on the Epiphone list for a cosmetic flaw one and stock it and if I like it he would sell it for like $299.

I ask if anyone has compared because, the standard models are very muddy.

I did really like the Epiphone Viola. He has it for like $239! Very bright, but not tinny like the EB0.
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

The old Epi's are now discontinued, I think. They had bolt on necks and I think were closer to P bass width at the nut. The Epi Pro IV is active, neck through, and has a slim, jazz taper neck. A lot of people dislike the active circuit in these, and, to be fair, it is very average and active sounding. There is also the new Classic IV, which is passive, neck through, and has a jazz-like neck.

I have played all of them and own the two neck through models. In terms of playability, all are very good - especially hen compared to more expensive basses. My favorite of these Epiphones is the new Classic IV - in some ways, it is better than my Gibson NR. But, I don't think any one is "head and shoulders" better than the others.
  3. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

I'll ask about the Classic IV model.

Any thoughts on the stock strings of these? In the store none of the Epiphones sound great, even unplugged. The best so far I think is the Viola, which has a very clear full sound, but just a tad too bright. Too bad I don't think I could restring it to test it out...
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

That's why unplugged it sounds more than others

I agree with the suggestion for the Classic Thunderbird: it has USA soapbars and sounds the closest to the "real" Gibson
    It also has terrible three pivot bridge tho'... what Thunderbird Pro has not, providin' a proficient himass bridge instead...

Finally: $. 299.00 is not a huge favor... it was Epiphone Christmas offer, a resaler or another can prolong due to stocks

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

He doesn't have it in stock, but $299 (cosmetic flaw though) seems fantastic considering Guitar Center sells it for $499 and the standard model for $299.
  7. Wallace320

Wallace320

Ok electronic is very "evident" (don't know how I can describe it) but it gives much more power to the overall output and scoops mids a bit... would you mind slap on a Thunderbird? With that two band equalizer, you easily can achieve even that

And if the one you have your sights on is a Vintage sunburst, it matches great with black pickguard:hyper:

I have one I keep a full step downtuned and with a Hipshot bass extender on
    It's a tractor of a bass!

Cheers,
    Wallace
  8. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

I'm hoping he can order a Classic Pro IV with a cosmetic flaw so I can try it out. If I really knew what it sounded like, I might be able to tell him I will definitely buy it and he can order one without waiting. Any chance someone has a sound clip?
  9. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Try youtube there is videos on there
    There was a post on here where someone had rewired one passive with soundclips
  10. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Forgot to say I prefer the bridge on the pro4 to the 3 point classic.
    In my book they should have used the pro4 bridge but that would hardly be classic
    You can get it in black pro4 that is
    might be an idea to pick up a cheap s/h pro4 and rewire it passive.I have thought of that but still waiting on one coming up at a decent price
  11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I'm not sure what people have against the three post bridge. It works fine, and my Classic IV plays every bit as well as my Pro IV.
  12. zachoff

zachoff

I bought a used T-Bird Pro, got it set up my my guy, and I still don't love it. I'm even a T-Bird fan. I ripped the active pre out thinking that was it and while it's better without, it's still not super awesome.
  13. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Wow I just heard the Pro and Classic on Youtube and both are great. The standard model was really just bad! Seriously... I am glad that I hear the same thing on the demo as I did at the store. I checked out the Viola on youtube as well and it pretty much was like I played in the store but I could tell that I couldn't buy that as a very versatile bass.

wvbass - Do the classic and the pro sound a lot different to you? Both sounded great on youtube. I might lean toward the Pro actually.
  14. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

I played the standard model again and this time used the punch and scoop settings on the Fender Rumble 350 and liked it a lot. Just wanted to say this as I did say it sounded bad earlier.
  15. Wallace320

Wallace320

But I dare to say

Go with a neckthru body Thunderbird, my friend

I might not like the three pivot bridge ("and I'm not the only
    one
    " mr. John Lennon once sang) but then I'm a downtune guy so it can be just me

Yet try a true Thunderbird experience Gibson or Epiphone that is, be it a neckthru body 7 laminate neck:hyper:

Cheers,
    Wallace
  16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Yes. A lot different. The pro is very active sounding - it has a sizzly, thin top end where the classic is much meatier.
  17. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Any chance you can record something with both of them so I can hear the only change being the bass with everything else being the same? In the youtube video I actually may have liked the Classic grr it is so tough! I don't think the standard is too bad in the store with the right EQ lol.
  18. zachoff

zachoff

active t-bird pro:

passive t-bird pro:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  19. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

They both sound great and I could go either way. My thought would be that the passive would be more versatile and could sound like the active one with an EQ, but not the other way around. Sound right? But of course with the active, you get more choice right there on the bass as opposed to on the amp or a pedal.
  20. aquateen

aquateen

the pro is a better built bass, imo
  21. badstonebass

badstonebass

Stole a Tbird IV off Craiglist. Put a set of strings on it, adjusted truss rod and took it out to gig. Took a couple adjustments on the Sansamp but it sounds fine. Nice and growly. the GIANT headstock took some getting used too. Kept hitting the singer with it.