1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Epiphone turned gibson...but how?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andii Syckz, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Hey guys,

I have another thread dealing with the same thing. And i was wondering how i can modify my epiphone thunderbird goth (mahogany wood/maple neck) to make it sound like a gibson. What pickups would you guys suggest for my bird to sound gibson or with a bit more bite?
  2. spiltcoil

spiltcoil

First thing you wanna do is grab a set of Lollar Tbird pups. They are designed as drop in for the Epi models. Also, research the correct capacitor values and wiring the the original Gibsons. Keep in mind, the Epi's are bolt on, consist of 'sen' wood and have a different finish makeup. Those last three go a long way in NOT making up the T-Bird sound.
  3. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Look at the bridge too. The Gibson is heavier I believe. Won't make a world of difference but will give that little bit of depth and highend clarity your missing. There are some Gibson vs epi comparo's on you tube, Mostly guitars. The last part of the tone puzzle a few have figured out is the bridge. Again not huge, but the last touch your probably looking for. Your mileage may vary.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, a pickup upgrade will make a big difference, but nothing else will.
  5. stiles72

stiles72

Here's my Epiphone Limited IV that I "Gibsonized". Thunderbirds are more versatile than they get credit for, and I use this one just as much as my Gibson birds for live use. I actually left the Epiphone neck pickup in, since I alwasy turn the tone down on the neck pup anyway and blend it with a treble bridge pickup for a deep tone that doesn't get lost in the mix.

Upgrades:

Hipshot Ultralite Clover Tuners
    Gibson TRC
    Bone Nut
    DR Black Beauties
    Ebay bridge cover and handrest
    Silver top Gibson knobs
    Chrome Epiphone bridge
    Silver jack nut
    Silver pickguard screws
    Vintage Gibson thumbrest
    Mike Lull bridge pickup
    Tone control wired to only affect neck pickup
    Strap locks relocated (closer to the tail fin and closer to the lower horn on back side of body)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

nice bass you got stiles72. But i'm not looking to make my epi bird turn complete gibson 60's-70's style. And i think if i change the pups, i want something black i don't want chrome on my goth bass it'll just look awkward to me anyway. But the jack, can i replace it with a larger one or can i do like a gibson style and mount it on the bottom of the bass, but how do i fill in the original jack hole?
  7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I believe I'm the only person making direct replacements for the Epi birds:

[​IMG]
  8. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

If I get a hipshot 3 point fit in gibson bridge, will that help with sustain? I've heard lots about it.
  9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I find the Hipshot aluminum bridges really bright out the high end nicely and have great sustain.
  10. chee666

chee666

What size Hipshot Ultralite Clover Tuners did you use ? 3/8 or 1/2 ? Whats the hole sizr 9/16 ?
    Thanks.