1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Epiphone Viola vs Hofner Ignition Beatles bass'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tobo, Jan 22, 2012.

1. tobo

tobo

So I was going to order myself one of these

HÖFNER IGNITION BEATLES BASS VSB - Thomann UK Cyberstore

has the hofner badge, decent quality sound from what I have heard (will fit flatwounds) and is incredibly cheap..

then i found out about this:

EPIPHONE VIOLA BASS - Thomann UK Cyberstore

lacks the hofner badge, but i read on some other forum that while they are both made abroad, the epiphone one boasts german pickups..

Is this true? details on the epiphone are hard to come by, so any advice would be much appreciated

P.S Im aware they are both shortscale :)

2. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

I doubt the Epiphone has German PUs, especially at that cost. Depends what you want. If having a "Hofner" is important to you, get the Ignition. If not, I hear the Epi is a fine instrument. I am not sure about difference in tone.

3. ecapdeville

ecapdeville

Hi!

I have an Epi Viola since 1999, it is a good little bass but I can tell you that is IDENTICAL as every Korean and Chinese hollow Hofner Knock-off as the Turser, Rogue and Eagle... Maybe the Headstock and tuners are different, but the pickups are the same.

The big difference between the EPI and the others are that the EPI uses 2 volume and a Tone potenciometer, while the others (the hofner included) uses the same Hofner electronics with 2 volume pots and 3 switches.

So, If you want a more "beatle" bass the Ignition is the best option, but if it doesnt matter, you can choose the one you find at your store... they are the just the same bass with different headstock.

:bassist:

4. GM60466

GM60466

imo get the epi

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oboylebass

oboylebass

I actually a/b'd these two basses and preferred to Epi...just the feel of the neck was better, little more Fender-ish. Build quality seemed better too.