1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EPK: Sonicbids or one-sheet and links?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Drop-the-One, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Drop-the-One

Drop-the-One

hi all, I'm making an EPK for myself as a bassist. A paid touring gig for an original artist requires I email an EPK to them.

I'm currently building both a Sonicbids EPK and creating a one-sheet with clickable links in illustrator. The one-sheet will be proofed by a couple professional designer friends before being sent.

Do you prefer the Sonicbids EPK? Why?

Do you prefer the one-sheet with clickable links? Why?

Thanks guys
  2. zachoff

zachoff

I don't prefer sonicbids anything. It's a total scam.
  3. stagebanter

stagebanter

We've gotten a lot of gigs with our Sonicbids EPK, both through Sonicbids submissions and just by circulating the link to promoters. There's something to be said for designing your own, though. I think it's best to use both.

Also, our Sonicbids account has made us more money than we've spent on it, so if it's a scam I guess we're beating the system?
  4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Disclosures:
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I've done Sonicbids before also and have gotten some good things from it, including reviews and tracks on compilations.

It's not an outright scam, but it's definitely buyer beware - make sure to read reviews and keep close tabs on what you applied for, since unfortunately many of the gig placements are poorly managed.

If you're using SB just for the EPK and not to apply for gigs or placements, I wouldn't bother. I've heard that SB is considered to be industry standard, but I couldn't say if that's really true or not.

Bottom line is, you can make an EPK that looks just as good on your own. I think ReverbNation also does EPKs now, so that might be worth checking out.
  5. stagebanter

stagebanter

ReverbNation's EPK is not as nice as SonicBids', IMO, and if I remember correctly you have to pay a monthly fee for it.
  6. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

That's about my experience. One of my old bands had one. We got a few good gigs out of it (the best was a summer 'concert in the park' gig at a nearby touristy town). It got us more from gigs then we paid into it, but there was at least one or two flakes that I can remember off hand.

I'm not 'in it to win it' anymore like I was a few years ago, when EPKs were a must. I've been sort of out of it for that side of the music industry, but I thought they would have died out by now in favor of just a good, well designed website.