EQ : 2 15 band channels or 1 31 band channel

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by crispygoat, Dec 30, 2006.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Hello,

I've been looking for a rack mount EQ and I've come up with 2 choices.

Is it better to get an EQ that is has two 15 band channels or one 31 band channel ?

(I only play trough one cab)

Thanks
  2. Trevorus

Trevorus

The 31 band is more precise, but the 15 band will have 2 channels... I'd probably go with the 31 band, because I love buttons and sliders.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    DBX makes a couple that go both ways. It's a 2x15 or a 1x30 depending on how you set it up.

Personally - 15 bands is more than enough for bass guitar. In fact a 3, 4 or 5 band parametric is more useful.

Hint: Passinwind has a 5 band symetrix in the GFS (or had) that is a killer bass EQ. Yes it takes longer to learn how to operate a parametric but when it comes to solving room EQ issues .. it is the surgical tool of choice.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only way a two-channel EQ could be useful is if you ran the channels in series, and if they each had bypass switches, so you could A/B them. Unfortunately I don't think there are any rackmount EQ's which allow footswitchable A/B; that would be cool. But to my mind it is more economical and useful to buy one or two stompbox EQ's like the MXR 10-band. IMO there is no way a 31-band EQ is useful for a bassist unless you are responsible for the whole PA.
  5. Foamy

Foamy

It'd be easy enough to insert an A/B/Y switch, right? Maybe just get a cheap-o switch and voila!
  6. bongomania

Disclosures:
    You'd need a switcher/mixer box with six cables running out of it to the rack. (1) from the preamp out or fx loop out to the pedal; (2) channel A from the pedal to one side of the EQ; (3) channel B from the pedal to to the other side of the EQ; (4) channel A return to the pedal; (5) channel B return to the pedal; (6) main out from the pedal back into the amp.

You could use a normal A/B/Y box if you also had a two-channel mixer in your rack, and as long as there wasn't too much noise from having both channels of the mixer (and both EQ channels) "on" at all times.

Please, "cheap-o switch and voila"??? How do you propose that works?
  7. Foamy

Foamy

I thought...

Take the signal out ( before EQ ) into the single end of an A/B, and connect the A to Channel 1 of the EQ and the B to Channel 2. Connect the outputs of both channels of the compressor together. I think this would be OK since only one would be active at a time. Route that output wherever you wish.
    Wouldn't that work? While being cheap?
  8. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Hmmm.... Well, that looks a lot like the second scenario I described, but with a Y-cable in the rack instead of a mixer... It could work I guess, but I am so conditioned to never use Y cables for anything other than splitting, that it would never occur to me to use one that way. OTOH, I'm not sure if there would be any problem if only one channel was ever active. I wonder if the inactive channel would load down the active one?
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:

One half of my bass amp run's vocal monitors so yeah - the 2x15 band can actually be a help - but in general I agree. To be fair, I run that EQ in the PA rack, which is also right next to me as I am responsible for the PA.

In my bass rig I do it with a parametric if necessary - most of the time it's completely out of the circuit though and Bass, Middle & Treble does it just fine.

I recently sold off a Trace Elliot stompable EQ. Specifically voiced for Bass, that was a useful little box.
  10. Foamy

Foamy

Hmm, yeah, I don't know. I was kinda thinking outloud. My guess is that it would not, but I learn more and more every day how little I understand all of this.
    :)
  11. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

I had a 15 band years ago,and I spent more time moving sliders trying to find the perfect tone,than just getting a good general tone,and leaving it alone. 3 or 4 band is more than enough for most folks.
  12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm planning on doing something of this nature.

Running a separate EQ channel for each of my basses (Dingwall and Mod) into one preamp (Avalon) and then to one amp/cab (QSC/Whappo).

Wouldn't take much, just 4 extra cables to run 2 loops, but wouldn't you need some rad amp switcher for that, to make sure you aren't losing signal?
    I was thinking of an LS-2 as I have one I'm not using, but would I need something that's actually made to switch ampsas opposed to just a pedal switcher?
  13. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

+1000
  14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    Except parametrics are about 300-400 more than sliders... ;)

Plus this is basically just an addition to my Avalon to make up for the lack of EQ'ing options on normal preamps.
  15. bongomania

Disclosures:
    I think he was just saying a 3 or 4 band tone stack (low, med, high) was good enough for him, I don't see anything there about parametric EQ.

I don't know if the LS2 can run a line-level signal, but it seems like that shouldn't be a problem. You could check in the Boss website if they have a Q&A forum, or (since TB search won't do 3-letter words) you could make a thread asking that specific question. I know there are some LS2 dosers here. You don't need an "amp switcher" you just need a switcher for line level signals.

Better yet, save yourself a bunch of headache and just use two EQ pedals. The Boss and MXR graphic EQ pedals are just as good as any inexpensive rackmount EQ's I've used. Also there's a good parametric EQ pedal thread going, although admittedly you'll have to buy a used one if you're on a budget.
  16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    My bad, but the OP was about "external" EQ's I thought, and some para's are 3 or 4 band, so it works either way. :)

And yeah you're right about no "amp" specific switcher (anymore, at least! ;)), just yes for line levels but w/out significant drop off.

I'd had that option recommended as well, except that when I think about it, it's going to be the same amount of cable, except I'll need 3 power supplies (scratch that- forgot the LS-2 powers like the TU-2), so, guess was thinking rackmount to save space and ease of use. But I'll check out that para-EQ pedal thread, as I didn't even know they made those suckers.