1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EQ Epiphany

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pokerdweebz, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    For the first time in my bass playing life I had to adjust the EQ from 12 o'clock across the board. My two main basses are a MIM Jazz and a Schecter Omen Extreme 4. I've always kept the EQ level on both, because I've never had any problem with the way I've sounded (and no one has said anything).

I defretted a Yamaha BBN4 myself and never really dug the sound. Finally today it dawned on me, why not mess with the EQ? Sure enough, I move both the mids to 3ish and the low to 1-2 and wow. I was playing a whole new bass. I know I'm a moron, but I was just so used to not having to adjust EQ that I didn't notice.....but I am happy now :bassist:

Sorry for the rant. You can make fun of me if you want. I know I deserve it.

2. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    And in my happiness I clicked the wrong forum. I probably should have put this in amps, but I guess this is close enough....

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Congrats on your newly acquired knowledge. A bit of extra mid-range makes a huuuuge difference in live settings. Next time you use your Jazz in a band setting, try slightly favoring one of the pickups, and boosting the mid range a bit, you'll be amazed at how it cuts! :)

5. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    Thanks! I'll do that!

6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Mids are where it's at!! Keep experimenting, theres major tone to be found in those knobs!!

7. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    Definitely will. I'm not exactly new to bass and I was amazed at the difference a quarter turn makes. I might get my other babies out and mess with them.

8. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered Panther Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Good for you! It's funny sometimes what we take for granted, and what we can be blind to. I don't lug my own amp to our rehearsal space; there's a bandmate's old Peavey something-or-other combo amp that I plug into. I've had something of a hard time getting a satisfactory sound out of it, until a couple of weeks ago, when I decided to set the mid frequency control pretty low, and the mid band control pretty wide. Major improvement!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    That's why they come with knobs ;)