1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EQ for a GK 700RB/Neo 4x10 Cab.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by johnhenry, Mar 30, 2014.

1. johnhenry

johnhenry

I'm playing in a club that supplies this amp and cabinet and am having an awful time trying to control the sound. I've tried the amp out at a local music store but they didn't have the Neo 4x10 cabinet; with the diffent cabinet the 700RB-ii was fine. So I'm still looking for a solution.
    I like a very old school sound. My bass is a '64 P-Bass with heavy gauge flats and my amp is a Walter Woods. My favorite cabinet setup is a 15"-Bag End with an SWR-10"w/a cone tweeter so the Woods is putting out 300 watts (conservatively). Lots of bottom with definition and punch in the mids without any metallic highs.
    I'm not adverse to making the GK rig work for me but there is very little opportunity to learn it before we play (club rules there, too). The bottom is overwhelming, no definiton or punch. I can't possibly be using the EQ effectively but my attempts to cut back on the woof has lead (so far) to nasty highs.
    If you could suggest how I might get closer to the sound I describe - don't worry about insulting me! No other bassist working there complains (so I already feel ignorant) but no other bassist goes for the sound I need. Thanks.

2. goodertone

goodertone

I have the 1001rb with that cab, and I've found in certain rooms I need to cut 100Hz to get rid of excessive "boominess". I like a more modern sound otherwise, but, IMO some sort of external eq helps (i've noticed a few people on here describe that particular cab as being too boomy).

3. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

Heavy gauge flats on a P-Bass.
    GK NEO 4x10.
    Both would be red flags if I didn't have it EQ correctly.
    This could also be stage helping create this problem.

You could either bring another bass or purchase something like an fdeck HPF. It can help tighten up the low end.

4. GretschBassist

GretschBassist

I'm not sure you know about it but the Contour control isn't flat at noon. It's flat at 0. I mention this because this adds depth and highs a lot and many people don't know. So after that's off the table I suggest getting the Empress ParaEQ or MXR 108 Pedal as these allow to cut certain frequencies, the Empress being better because it's all parametric plus you get control over the q width. Meaning: I'd run the amp flat and work with a pedal so the respective frequency can be narrowed down more efficiently and you don't have to do some mayor bottom cut on the amp because that might leave a bit fat hole in your mix.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

If you are looking for old school tone I would say don't be afraid to turn down the high mids. I was scared to do this at first but with my cab this amp had a honky tone that went away as soon as I turned the high mids down. Just smoothed everything out.

7. TC.65

TC.65

+1 to this I always had to cut the high mids on this amp when I owned it. The RB series amps have a lot of high mids baked in to their tone and even more so when paired with the GK Neo cabs.

8. john m

john m Supporting Member

I have a 1001 into a 4-10 and/or 2-12.

I too find the 4-10 a bit to boomy, so I roll off the bass pot on the amp a bit.

For old school tone, rolling off the tweet is a must,

but my best results (for old school stuff) is to run a Fender TB1 preamp into the effects return. I A-B my bass between the GK input and the Fender input when necessary.

Or carry 2 basses--- round wounds into the GK, flats into the fender.