EQ monger?? MXR 10 band/Empress para eq

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jeffgnr90, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

I currently use an MXR 10 band. i bought it b/c i needed something, at the time, to tame some of the sub-bass and frequencies above 4-5k. Besides that, everything is flat except for slight boosts at 250hz and 1k.

I have been looking elsewhere for something different mainly b/c I just acquired an fdeck HPF-3 which renders what I've been doing with the mxr for sub bass kind of pointless. So I've been contemplating guitar eq pedals so I have more flexibility with my mids, and then I'll just cut everything above 4-5k again. The Empress para eq really intrigues me, but i feel like i won't be able to roll off all of those 4k-plus highs if i want to boost at 1k for example. So i feel like if I kept my 10 band and got the empress also, I'd have lots of flexibility given the 10 fixed bands with the mxr and shaping the other frequencies inbetween with the empress. then there's amp eq which is kept flat mostly.

does this sound like a good plan or do you folks think it's needless to have 2 eq pedals? I also kind of want an LPF too.....AM I crazy or what!?!?!?!:hyper:

2. lowhighway

lowhighway

I just got a Whirlwind Perfect Ten EQ for my guitar pedal board. I have it near the end of my chain and find that it really seems to help clarify and clean up my tone. I play under headphones a lot and am finding it incredibly useful when I switch from headphones to my Yamaha THR5 in terms of quickly being able to adjust via a small cut or boost to find the sweet spot of my tone. Right now it's always on, and I'm finding it to be a critical link in my chain already.

I mainly play guitar these days but also play Bass and am building a second board for that purpose. I am so impressed with the Perfect Ten that I decided to order the Whirlwind Bass Ten as well for the Bass board. I was also considering the Empress EQ for the purpose of both learning how to use a parametric as well as the flexibility of having an eq that I could use for both guitar and bass. If I get the Empress, I figure that I can use it to tune other effects at different points in the chain. It's not a need right now, so I decided to keep it simple and go with the Bass Ten as I mentioned. Among other things, I appreciate the aesthetics of the Perfect Ten. The cool looking LEDS and the incredibly soft potentiometer (like butter) coupled with the ease of dialing in a sweet tone sold me. Having it on the second board next to its sibling is going to look cool too! I know the form factor is pretty big but it doesn't bother me. It feels like a serious piece of studio grade gear.

So, to answer your question, IMO it depends on your needs really. It doesn't sound crazy to me if it suits a need. It would seem to be a good solution for what you are trying to do. It should add a lot of flexibility. If you buy it right you can always move on from it with little or no loss if it doesn't suit your needs. Most every review and demo I've seen of the Empress has been overwhelmingly positive. Since this response is a couple of months after your OP, I am curious to your experience if you did end up with the 2nd eq?

Soon I'll have 2 eq pedals and I'm still contemplating adding a third. I am not a professional musician and my perspective is one of a serious hobbyist. I'm not sure about you but I know I'm a bit cuckoo. :D

3. Gazonga

Gazonga Banned

Above all, when you cut high frequencies and you're happy with the MXR, keep it. The weak spot on that pedal are definitely the hissy heights so with these rolled off it actually is a really nice pedal. The Empress ParaEQ is from a different planet though. It's a boutique product made of high quality components and it has a sh?t load if headroom. I don't know if I would get a ParaEQ if I already had the MXR but if I had none, I would get it, no question.

4. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

I haven't purchased an empress eq yet though I'm gasing for it. I may be adding a guitar rig to my setup for my dirt pedals and fx, and I think the mxr will have an even greater effect on that side of things.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    A graphic eq and a parametric have different purposes, so I see nothing wrong with having both.

Sent from my iPad using TalkBass