EQ or Preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by yaksonator, Dec 14, 2012.

1. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

I've been doing a lot of research lately on finding the right preamp eq pedal for my setup. If I buy a preamp pedal like the Tone hammer, instead of a pedal like the empress paraeq, am I getting something "better" because the word preamp is associated with it?? I know the tone hammer has the ags circuit and an xlr out but is that all thats different? Any help would be great.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It depends on what you are looking for?if you want to be very surgical with your sound then the Para EQ is the way to go with the Tone Hammer you could take that to a gig by itself and use the DI and be set with the Empress you could not. I am a preamp freak and have way more than I need I would be glad to help you choose one.

3. yaksonator

I like the way my pbass sounds now. Which preamp type pedals would be good for enhancing that pbass sound? I've looked into most but have no hands on with any...

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    I'd suggest the BDDI or ToneHammer. There are other options (for instance, I use a ParaEQ into a Countryman Type 85 as my DI), but most of them are more expensive.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JVbass

JVbass Supporting Member

Definitely check out the Sadowsky preamp/DI pedal.

7. newbold

newbold

I like my Eden WTDI and the bypass is great. Preamp with DI, great EQ, compressor, and 'enhance'...or a great sounding bypass.

You may dig the Fulltone Fat Boost with a countryman 85.

8. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

A lot of preamp pedals try to emulate X amp. If you want an un colored sound, get the eq into a di box. If you want to sound like an ampeg, get the sans amp. If you want to sound like A traynor, get a rusty box. I believe the tone hammer is the preamp of the aguilar amps

9. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

I don't know what your gigs are like, does a DI matter to you? Do you really like the sound of your amp but need a bit more EQ to cut through?
    I used to be into preamps but now, I don't need/want them. I really just like the sound of my bass and amp (and effects of course) and have found EQs to be an awesome tool.

10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

I agree with XFactor. Sadowsky pre would help as the P had a treble roll off. The high was around a 4 K where the sadowsky pre boost the 4 k.

11. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Also consider band, PA, Mix, Sound Guy, and venue. I've tried a lot of them and sometimes the factors above mess with them.

I'm not a fan of ParaDriver tone in bedroom but works great in a live mix thru a very clean system.

BDDI made weak subs in a bad room sound amazing - tightened lows, scoops 800Hz which helps guitars be more audible.

VT took too much low end (HPF 80Hz) out of my Tobias 5 string, but makes my Jazz bass with EMG's a monster.

I often play clean into tube DI (Agi DB900) - slight compression of peaks, more detailed so character of each bass shines thru.

I wasn't a fan of Tone Hammer - harder to hear bass in the mix, mids were boost/OD only iirc.

I play with a Thunderfunk amp live - it has 4 band semi parametric, plus B&T shelf EQ.

I'd recommend the Empress ParaEQ - BUT - you've gotta put in effort to learn how to drive it. It'll do what nearly every other pedal does and more (except OD).

12. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Preamp often means a colored, amp simulator. Handy for small size, simple setup: bass -> pre -> desk.

EQ is clean & transparent. You can use it anytime anywhere.

13. yaksonator

Do any of you guys have experience with the darkglass b7k? I figure Ill ask all the questions I can about these products.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are threads about it. Search and read.

15. yaksonator

16. caeman

caeman The Root Master

If you like the way it sounds now, why do you wish to "enhanced" it?

17. yaksonator

I guess the same reason why I started getting into effects in the first place. Options! No its not needed, but having the ability to engage an effect, or in this case a preamp/eq to enhance my tone for certain things is always a plus.

18. JVbass

JVbass Supporting Member

Check out some YouTube demos of the Sadowsky preamp/DI. I think this is exactly what you're looking for.