1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EQ Pedal- Before amp or effect send?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rasbass, Nov 28, 2013.

1. rasbass

rasbass

For my upright (play jazz in a combo) I am using a Boss GEB-7 EQ pedal and an fdeck with my combo amps (GK 150, GB 3.0 8T). I am trying to improve the tone to avoid boominess (especially around E and F on the D string) and improve presence and clarity in higher pitches. For now, I am using the tried and true method of trial and error- slow going as it is difficult to change settings during a song.

One thing I have been trying is experimenting with order and placement of the pedals and thought that some of you more knowledgeable than I might have a definitive response to the following:

1. What are the advantages/ disadvantages of the placement of the pedals- either before the amp input or through the effect send?

2. What impact does the order of the pedals have? fdeck first? EQ pedal first? One or the other through the send?

Constructive suggestions are appreciated- thanks.
  2. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

FDeck first. The Boss pedal input impedance is high enough for most piezos, but the FDeck is probably better since the impedance is about ten times higher.
    Any effect made for instruments can go after the FDeck and before the amp. Only effects made for mixers (i.e. with line level in and out and much lower input impedances) need to sit in the effect loop. At least they won't sound good without an FDeck in front if used before the amp.
  3. rasbass

rasbass

Very informative.

Pardon my ignorance.... but is the purpose of the effects loop only to adjust for lower impedance of the effect? All things being equal, is there a sonic effect from the order of effects? I was under the impression that there would be a tonal difference between the EQ before the amp from the EQ in the loop (assuming no impedance problem). Is that not the case?

Thanks for the info.
  4. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

In general there shouldn't be a difference.

But if the EQ is after the amps built-in preamp (which might have some non-linear finctions like a limiter or a valve overdrive) the effect is different to the placement in front of the (amp's) preamp if nonlinearities kick in.

The main difference you might hear is the difference in impedance loading of the piezo as explained before.