1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EQ pedal, behringer or boss?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Low368, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Low368

Low368

Been searching through the forum and reading up on pedals (not something I've given much attention in the past, wish I had of after reading the advice on here!)

Anyway, I've got an Ashdown MAG 300 combo with the built in EQ. I'm guessing I would get a better sound with a 7 band EQ pedal? Behringer seem insanely cheap compared to boss! Is it a bargain or is it a case of 'pay for what you get?'
    Thanks in advance!

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Well, it depends. If you want something that will stay in the basement or rehearsal space and never move, the Behringer will do what it's supposed to: equalize the signal. Additionnally, it might provide a hiss and color your tone. And since its made out of plastic, it can break rather easily. But all this might be tolerable if its for your own use.

The Boss unit is well-made, rather transparent and quiet. You can take it out to the studio or gig without any worries. It will give you a decent EQ function.

I tried both last week. Wanted to save a few bucks, so gave a shot to the Behringer. No way.

There are other options: MXR has 2 EQ pedals and I'm sure there are others.

For more info, do a bit a search here and read reviews on both pedals on Harmony Central.

3. K2Graham

K2Graham

Boss EQ's probably the best value-for-money EQ pedal around, I've broken more than one of those cheap Behringer pedals just by stomping on them.

4. Shinji

Shinji

BOSS ftw! everyone i know who has had any beringer product has had something go wrong with it, so i've never trusted their gear. Also I've never heard of Boss gear breaking, they're built tough and keep on going and going.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Venom of God

Venom of God

What part of your sound do you hope to improve with an EQ pedal as opposed to the one in your Ashdown? If you have money you want to spend I think you'd probably get more enjoyment and notice a better tonal difference if you got a SansAmp or something instead (still has some EQ option as well as a bit of drive if you want it and a nice, tubey colour to your sound). YMMV.

7. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

I've never played a Behringer pedal, but one of the guitarists in the band I'm in has a few. Never uses them though. I do however have a Boss EQ and think it's great. Feels much more solid then his pedals and probably has a little better re-sale value if you decide to upgrade.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I have a Behringer eq on my board and it's fine - no noise issues to complain about - although I only use it to cut frequencies, but even so, when I have boosted, there's no issues.

I actually like the fact that it's plastic as it keeps the weight down on my increasingly heavy board. It also stays switched on all the time, so breaking under my foot is not an issue.

The only major difference between it and the Boss is the sliders are not center detented, so they don't 'snap' into place in at zero.

Unless you're going to be stomping on it numerous times during a gig, I see no point in spending out 2 or 3 times as much for the Boss when this on is adequate.

BTW, I also have a similarly priced 'Chord' brand eq that is center detented and metal enclosure. This is equal to the Boss in every way IMO

9. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think the EQ will do less for you than you want it to.

I'd go with a Hartke VXL on the cheap or Sansamp BDDI/etc. Both of those pedals offer sufficient tone shaping and other features that can impact your tone and presence in the mix.

I used a MAG at one point and the BDDI worked wonders with it (gave it more of a clean sparkly modern sound than the warm Ashdown "wool"). The VXL does basically the same thing at half the price or less.

I have an EQ pedal now and barely ever use it. I only use it if I'm doing hip hop and want a huge low boost for some "sub hit" type sounds, or if I'm playing on a guitar amp for some reason.

10. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

Better sound is subjective, but I think I agree that an EQ pedal doesn't contribute to "better sound."

The advantage of a 7-band EQ is that you can compensate for room acoustics, stage resonances, live mix, etc. much better than the average EQ on an amp which changes broad sections of the frequency spectrum.

FWIW, I purchased the Boss pedal used so it didn't cost that much and haven't regretted the purchase. It's an "always on" pedal for me.

11. loopmantra

loopmantra

FFS COMPARING BOSS AND BEHRINGER......IT S A SIN !!!!!!
    mxr 6 bend eq would be my choice,less hiss then with boss...