1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EQ pedal for mids

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Veldar, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Veldar

Veldar

After finally getting some djently sounds from my set-up I was looking to invest in a EQ pedal for more control of my mids as the ashdown amp I have only has the regular bass, mid, terrible.

My current set-up is as follows:
    Schecter extreme stiletto 5
    Ashdown mini rig
    Ashdown hyper drive
    EBS metal drive
  2. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

Empress ParaEQ. At first glance it looks like it is a standard bass, mids, treble pedal. However, when you look more closely, it can easily be a low mid, mid mid, high mid pedal, which is how I use it. It's done wonders for my sound.
  3. Veldar

Veldar

It looks complex? is it easy to get a good sound from it?
  4. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

Very much so. If you know what you want to sound like, you can get there in less than a minute. There really isn't a bad sound in this thing, either.
  5. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

another option is the EWS Bass Mid Control. single band semi-parametric mid control in a small pedal.
  6. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

MXR M108 10-band EQ. 10-bands are better than 3.
  7. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

I wouldn't say that 10 bands are necessarily better than 3, although I agree that it would appear you have more control.

The X factor for me is to have control over the frequencies that matter...

I don't have the MXR, but I've heard good things about it, and I'm sure it will get the job done.

I've gotten good results with the Boss GEB-7.

And I have the Empress ParaEQ as well, and it does get the job done beautifully. I can now notch out offending hi and mid-hi frequencies that I couldn't get rid of before, and it doesn't color your bass' tone.

They're just tools.
  8. caeman

The WMD Utility EQ is a 3-band full parametric EQ that would also work for the OP's task.
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd caution that there is a bit of a learnng curve for people who are new to using these types of EQ controls. But well worth learning.
  10. Bluedevilxx

Bluedevilxx

I'm grabbing a used Mxr 6 band EQ today for a gig tonight. I'll report back :)
  11. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

There also the Artec parametric eq pedal. Single band like the EWA Bass Mid Contol (BMC), but with width and gain controls, and a lot, lot cheaper!
  12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

There's also the Artec parametric eq pedal. A single band pedal much like the afore mentioned Bass Mid Control pedal, but with width and gain controls, and a lot, lot cheaper.
  13. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

+1- I used to own the Empress and now own the WMD. They are both fantastic sound sculpters, but the wider and continuous Q adjustment on the WMD makes it much more surgical and potentially versatile for me.
  14. Bluedevilxx

Bluedevilxx

The MXR 6 band really impressed me this weekend! I use an Orange TB500, so my EQ options aren't the greatest out of the gate. But with the MXR EQ, I was able to really get at the mids the way I had been wanting to, sculpting them to the sound of the room.

Scooped the pedal up used for a whopping $30 too!
  15. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    this is the first time i've looked into the empress, I want one
  16. Veldar

Veldar

Would the B7K be good for EQing i was going to get a B3K anyway so and extra 100 for EQ setting isn't that bad right.
  17. caeman

One buys the B7K as an overdrive with excellent tone control. To just use it as an EQ would be over-kill. :) But an awesome sounding over-kill. :D
  18. Veldar

Veldar

I wasn't going to use the EQ for clean anyway
  19. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

20. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

This.
    It's designed to do exactly what you describe you want an eq to do.