1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EQ pedal you like

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by edpal, Feb 20, 2013.

1. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    I am looking to have more than the 3 bands of EQ on my amps - suggestion on ones you've like or disliked. No good music stores around here so I generally have to mail order...even closest Gtr. Center is 30+ miles and limited selection.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I use a Barber Linden, but it's only a 2 band eq. Sounds awesome though.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have a Dr Scientist the Cleanness and it's the best I've tried I also had a Fromel Shape Eq and it was awesome as well. I have to say if you want the best with the most options the Empress Para Eq is the way to go.

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Empress ParaEQ is the best EQ pedal I've ever used. It's also a favorite of Bongo, and that's one man's opinion I trust.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For versatility, it's the Empress Para and the WMD Utility Para.

For more organic broad tone-shaping I love the Fromel Shape.

7. Kellymack

Kellymack Supporting Member

I'm using the Boss PQ-3B, it's a 3 band semi parametric. I'm mostly using it to add bottom after my dirt effects.

I tried the Boss GEB 7 band, but it didn't really do it for me.

8. taurus1

taurus1

the MXR 10 band is the worst I've ever owned.
    the Boss GEB-7 is very hard to beat imo, the old Boss GE-10 is also awesome.

9. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

The Boss EQ-20 has my vote! :D

10. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

MXR 6 Band is really handy to me

11. Swift713

Swift713

I'm really digging the parametric eq on the Zoom B3. I used to have a Trace Elliot amp with a 12 band graphic and I had a hard time getting what I wanted from it. I think Zi had a tendency to set it up graphically.

12. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Really? I really like the MXR, except for the 18V power. I would recommend it.

13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

They're no longer being made, look for used ones if you want to go that route.

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I sold my Para Eq because I'm constantly adjusting the knobs of my pedals if you have this compulsion avoid this pedal because you will go crazy with all of the options it has :) I find the Cleanness to be a pedal that is simple to use it's always on and I don't touch it because everything is pretty much flat and it sounds great.

15. Bur

Bur

My EHX Tube EQ keeps me amazed for 6 years. My always on one, never going to sell it. It does not just boost & cut, it enriches & saturate the signal, gives my tone a strong erection. It got two 12AX7's for two filters, one two-band with fixed frequency & band width to correct bottom & high end, and the second - with variable frequency centre & band width to cut/boost whatever & however you want. Combining those two you can handle most of cases with tone. Used to it so much, that when I turn it off I go like "***, dude, where is your goddamn lowend?". I can compare my tone without it & with it like if you used to eat some trash fastfood & then you tasted a real juicy roasted steak with potatoes mashed with milk, dill, fresh onion rings & some sourcreme&garlic sauce... God, I think I should go for a lunch... immediately! :D

16. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

I was thinking of trying the EHX tube eq , now Im gonna go and get one.

17. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

Oh, I know. They're not that much used, nor are they difficult to find. Out of the few EQ pedals I've used, I just like this one the most. :)

18. jymyben

jymyben

do you all run these pedals thru the effects loop or in the pedal chain?

19. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    I run it right behind my tuner, prior to the pre-amp/DI box.

20. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    I've grabbed an MXR 6 band - not here yet. I'm telling myself it is an "entry level" item for me. New group I'm in might give me more chances to experiment. So many groups - "just give us solid bottom". I've got to be more experimental playing in churches, but only because we had such little to work with. It's kind of nice having a guitarist who writes a lot who tells you " I was thinking a Geddy sound with all that clank for the chorus then yeah, I like that distortion you selected for the verses."

Your suggestions were not in vain - I saved this thread as a favorite and other will surely read it. Thanks all.

*Someone mentioned the Zoom - I have the B21.U, great stuff but just too much of a pain to dial in as an eq(imo). I'll leave it to "effects" and try to get something nice for a dedicated eq unit. All my amps have 3 band, I just want to slice/dice a little finer. GINSU!!

21. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    DUDE - you used the "e" word and food in one thread. Seriously, a tube eq? I work on vintage electronic watches as my "day gig", I am gonna have to check that out just on retro principles alone! We need a LMAO icon!