EQ settings

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mfleming1963, Jan 1, 2013.

1. mfleming1963

mfleming1963

Who has some favorite settings for amps that have 7 band eq instead of the usual tone controls? Would you mind sharing them?
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I use a trace 7 band often. I cut some lowest 50hz, may boost 100hz or leave flat, may give some more mids, cut 5k. YMWV but this is a starting point for getting heard without blowing up speakers.

Each room is different and changes with the number of guests. There is no set and forget.
  3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I don't use a graphic but have before. It doesn't change the freqs. I adjust.

When I use a 4x10 alone I boost 50 and 100hz, slightly. Just to make the "B" and "E" bigger. To much and it gets muddy.

Everything else is flat.

When I use a 4x10 with a sub I set everything flat.

I do have pedals that alter the EQ for a specific reason but my standard non-effected playing is the above EQ. Has been for years.
  4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If you think "favorite settings" will work in every venue, guess again.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JetBlackJazz

JetBlackJazz

I have a 4 band fully parametric eq. Unparalleled. I like to boost 100hz a bit with wide Q, cut 300hz with narrow Q some, cut ~900hz just a little and keep 2khz narrow and boosted a tad. Low pass at 4khz and high pass at 50hz.
  7. mfleming1963

mfleming1963

No I was just looking for some starting points to experiment with the sound. Just wanted to see what other people liked.
  8. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Never met a 7 band graphic EQ I liked. Leave 'em flat, or throw the bypass switch to the off position.

I use very little EQ, and then only to adjust for room acoustics. Most productive tone shaping will come from your playing technique.
  9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender Supporting Member

Flat. Then adjust as needed from there. Seriously.
  10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Exactly. The room, your playing style, and the tone you want will ALL play into how the EQ will be set.

I use my EQ on the Carvin head to reduce frequencies that are too strong in the room - it allows the rest of my bass tone to come through.