Equal Pay Split, What Are Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Jan 5, 2013.

1. bluewine

bluewine

This thread is for those of you in bar bands or joining bar bands doing traditional 4 hour shows in the $400.00- $500.00 fee range.

What is your take on pay?

My position regardless of the circumstance is you should get an equal cut.

Blue
  2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Those who own the PA, transport more than their own gear or go out of their way to book the gig (especially if others do nothing) should get more than an equal split.

Equal pay for equal work/investment is OK if there is gig and take.
  3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

You mean an equal cut between the members in your band? Honestly, I think it depends on a lot of factors. If someone in the band is schlepping a huge and necessary PA around (something more than just two mains) then they probably deserve a larger cut. Some bands also give the person who booked the gig a larger cut. Personally, I don't buy into that practice.
  4. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

depends. someone hauling all the gear? fuel on long gigs? We split pretty evenly after all expenses are paid.
    Unless, we're using a fill in. They would get a flat rate less than the regular members.
  5. smogg

smogg

Equal split as long as ALL members do their fair share.
  6. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

In my current band, for gigs that are $500 and up we take $100 for the band fund and the rest is split evenly. The band fund is used for anything that benefits the entire band: PA equipment, band shirts, business cards, etc.
  7. JumboJack

JumboJack Supporting Member

+1
  8. bluewine

bluewine

Seems fair, but not at the $400.00 - $500.00 level.

If we were talking gigs that pay over $1,500.00 it would be open for discussion.

I mentioned that the thread was also for guys thinking about joining bands at that pay level. It's a good idea to ask about the split before you commit , say yes and join.

Blue
  9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I used to be in a band that did that. You can accomplish a lot of good with that. I quit my band recently. Used to get a lot of "you know what would be cool? If we had......" I always said "hey, that's something that we could easily do by going in together or doing a gig to pay for it, etc." Once I said that, the idea disappeared! I think what they really meant was "hey, you know what would be cool...if YOU bought...."
  10. bluewine

bluewine

Neither do I. Not at the 4-5 bill level. There's just not enough margin to screw around with. No offence, but it's "small time" gigging. It's the level I happen to play in.

Blue
  11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

When I was in a cover band, the guitarist/bandleader also owned the PA. He got to the shows a few hours earlier than anyone, set up the whole monstrosity, and left a couple hours after us. We were a trio that got $400 per gig. The guitarist took $200, and the drummer and I each got $100. I had no problem with this.
  12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I Agree.
  13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

You'd be surprised, man. I reckon if your band is pulling in $500 a gig you're probably doing better than 95% of musicians out there, or at least that's what it seems given what I've read on Talkbass.
  14. JumboJack

JumboJack Supporting Member

Well then I would tell you to get your own PA, we'll use it and then we can split the money evenly.
  15. bluewine

bluewine

Interesting, this is also something guys thinking about joining a band should think about.

For those that read my threads, it's no secret that I don't participate in band funds.

Blue
  16. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Most everyone has money tied up in their instruments, amps, drumkits, etc. Why should it be up to some poor guy to spend that much more for everyone else to make the same?
  17. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Booking all of the jobs and/or owning/hauling/setting up/tearing down the PA should involve more pay. If everyone books jobs, the band as a whole owns the PA and everyone does an equal amount of work, the pay should be equal.

That said, I own a PA and never ask for extra money. But that's because I love to play, and don't depend on music to pay my bills.
  18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Small money. See it for what it is and don't be selfish about it. Divide it (and the work) equally, and be looking for greener pastures. A hundred dollars for a night of playing doesn't even cover the effort for the night alone, much less travel and equipment costs and rehearsal. Local gigging is about building a brand. If it's only about the money, you'll never get anywhere. The brand comes first.
  19. bluewine

bluewine

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with "small time" gigging there's good money in it.

4 bills is the top of the scale for small bar gigging in Milwaukee.

If the bar does good and the owner is cool they will give the band a $100.00 boost.

Blue
  20. taliesin

taliesin

In my last band I did all the booking and moved the PA - so whenever we made more than $100 each (so more than $400 since we were a 4 piece) I got an extra $50 - $100 depending on pay.

That happened about half the time and everybody was happy with it.