Erasing memories with electroshock therapy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Dec 23, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I saw this story about researchers having some success erasing bad memories from humans using electro shock therapy.
    http://www.nature.com/news/zapping-the-brain-can-help-to-spot-clean-nasty-memories-1.14431

I'm sure it will help in treating some psychological disorders.
    Is there also a potential that this could be misused? Holy George Orwell! I can see it now, leaving a treatment session with an overpowering urge to buy Wayne Newton recordings and watch re-runs of Gilligan's Island. :eek: YIKES!
  2. bassinplace

bassinplace

I like my brain and prefer to keep 100% intact, thank you. Bad memories and all. :)
  3. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

Uhm, it already has been misused. This isn't exactly a new idea...
  4. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Is that why I like the Ramones?
  5. SidMau

SidMau

I wouldn't mind misusing it on other people...
  6. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

Yes. Yes it is!
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Back in 99 when I got so badly messed up, they wanted to use a therapy on me that reduced short term memories. Supposed to reduce the memories of the wreck I got hurt in, but there was a wrongful death suit involved and the lawyers didn't want my recollection monkeyed with.
  8. hbarcat

hbarcat

Google "Lobotomy"

This procedure was performed on about 100,000 people worldwide, mostly in the 1950's.

Absolutely horrific.
  9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Including Rose Kennedy, who was placed in a Wisconsin sanitarium. 'Wisconsin' and 'sanitarium', redundant? Nooooooo!
  10. spade2you

spade2you

I generally don't disclose this much. I tend to remember entirely too much. I can't control what I remember. I seem to remember failures, defeats, and other unpleasant things the most. Those seem to be etched in stone. I wish I had the ability to remember the important things. I could have been a much better student.

I made this discovery about myself after I quit drinking for a year. A few professors noticed that I went from barely passing to pretty good.

About the only way to suppress these memories would be to drink copious amounts of booze. I can't do that any more.

Perhaps I'll be the first and only one to sign up for this. Remembering every little bad detail of my life can be challenging. That's the part they don't tell you about having a somewhat photographic memory.
  11. PAC

PAC

I went to see my doctor about some feelings I've had recently. I told him sometimes I feel like a tipi and other times I feel like a wigwam. He told me. Son I think you are too tents.

Paul

:scowl:
  12. bassinplace

bassinplace

Not to downplay your struggle in any way, but it must have its positives as well. I wish I had a photographic memory when it comes to learning new songs! :bassist:
  13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

This has happen before. People rarely learn and are doomed to repeat. Wash rinse repeat.
  14. spade2you

spade2you

I can learn songs alright. This isn't one of the areas where I can be 100% photographic. I can remember bits and pieces of almost every song I've heard, probably not enough to play them by ear or remember all of the exact lyrics.
  15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

See, lawyers are good for something
  16. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

My wife says I selectively forget things...
  17. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

I hate Mondays. Shave my head, slap on some wires and gimme the juice!
  18. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

I never had the stomach to watch any documentry on lobotomy.

Apparently, I still don't.:atoz:

Man I don't feel good, I gotta get some air...
  19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Remembering just about everything is a PITA but it CAN be very helpful. However, dwelling on the bad is just a good way to be constantly unhappy. Drinking is never a good way to suppress anything- much better to deal with things and move on. The past is the past and, unless you can repair broken promises, hurt feelings and damaged relationships, leave it where it is- behind you.

Even if you have to force yourself to stop thinking about the bad stuff, you can still learn from it to not make any avoidable mistakes in the future by paying attention to warning signs.
  20. champbassist

champbassist

I'm pretty sure I represent a large number of people when I say that Eternal Sunshine was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title :D

While not downplaying the traumatic experiences many people have had, I'd say that this

is something that I totally agree with.