1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Erdnase

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Bass_Machine, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Hi Janek,

Have been working on transcribing your tune "Erdnase" (one of my favourites of yours), but have gotten a bit stuck thinking about the progression, in particular the B section.

I hear it as:

A Section:

G/B | Cmin | E/G# | Amin | C/E | Faug | Faug x2

B Section:

Eb/G | Abmin | Emaj7 | B/D# |

F#6 | E/G# | C#/F | Emaj7 |

Eb/G | Abmin | Emaj7 | B/D# |

F-7 | Bb |Bb

I've left the chord qualities as triads unless the melody notes specify anything else. I guess maybe part of what I like is that slight sense of ambiguity, and the more open sound of the spread triad backing with shifting tonalities.

I see the A section as just V-i in two different keys, then V-Iaug in a third key. The B section I see the first two bars as V-i, and the last three bars as ii-V-V, but I'm a bit stuck with how to think of the rest of the B section. Maybe bars two and three are I - V?

Anyway, do you have any tips about how to think of this tune in terms of functional harmony?

I'm gonna take down your solo on this tune and try to work it out from your not choices, but any pointers would be gratefully appreciated! I'm usually a more straightahead player, but getting into more modern jazz and finding the different approach to harmony a bit confusing.

Thanks,

Hector
  2. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    Hector,

When I play over changes like this, or this song in particular, I'm working with the melody a lot. It has a lot to do with repetition, outlining the chord tones, and making sure I work on difficult changes very slowly and play within my ability.

It's all about intent, and if your intent is to play melodically and you're aware of what your ability level is, then you're going to make sure you work on something slow enough to be musical. Speed, chops, and being impressive are the last things on the list when working on things that push your ability, and using a few of the ideas I've put forth in this post will give you a really solid foundation to grow from.

Thanks for checking out the music, and good luck with your practice.

Janek