Ergo Amp Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by clokwise, Feb 11, 2014.

1. clokwise

clokwise

Hi,
    I am aware this has probably been asked but I am new to the EUB game so I don't quite understand all of the variables that go into choosing an EUB amp.

I am a long time electric bass player and have a decent amp for my jazz bass. I play through a GK with no preamp or anything, just straight in. And it sounds fine. But I know since the Ergo uses piezo pickups there are different variables. I keep seeing lots of stuff about impedance, and using several different preamps and such. I just don't know what I need to be looking for.

Can anyone give me an idea of at least what to look for when researching? I'd ideally love to have something fairly small (not tiny) but small combo amp. I'd prefer to not not lug around a head and cab combo like I currently do.

Thanks for the help (and possible ridicule for posting this) ahead of time!

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Find out what the input impedance is on your GK. If it's 1Mohm or higher, you should be ok with the ergo. If it's less, I would get an Fdeck pre. Start there. Then, If you want a new amp, there are myriad discussions on this topic. Search around.

3. clokwise

clokwise

How do I test the impedance? Not sure how to do that...

Thats kind of the thing. What exactly am I looking for with amps? Im not necessarily looking for a specific brand suggestion, just the specifics the amp needs in order to be a good match for the Ergo.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Go to the GK website or your owners manual and look at the specs! :hyper:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. clokwise

clokwise

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Yes, 1 Mohm should be fine. Now you have to play around with your current amp and speaker and try and get a sound you like. It may take a while. Remember, the Ergo itself may not be capable of a sound you like, so take that into consideration.

8. clokwise

clokwise

Will adding in the fdeck pre improve it or won't make any difference?

9. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

I don't know about the input impedance changes of the FDeck, but I don't think you'll need its highpassing abilities. I use one all the time at the end of my chain, and also with my ergo, but if that were the only reason you were going to get one, you probably don't need to. I think what would be far more useful would be some sort of preamp for it, which I think also takes precedence over what sort of amp you'd use. I don't think you need a certain kind of amp for it (I use a streamliner), but it'll probably require quite different EQing to get a tone you like than your electric bass, especially if you'll be using both at the same show (I do). Plus the ergo is super quiet compared to an electric and requires a lot of boosting anyway (wait, is this what that input impedance thing relates to?). I use an MXR 10-band, gives me a good amount of level and good control over the tone. I've also been considering putting a foam mute under the strings, to deaden the sustain and high end, which may be even more important with your GK. Is it one of their flagship heads, or a Fusion?

10. clokwise

clokwise

It's a flagship. I have the 1001RB head and GK Neo 410 cab. Its a great sounding rig I won't argue that. When I'm using my Ergo I get some buzzing and the pops from slapping the strings are neck are always so loud, which I assume could be fixed by a compressor. I mostly want to get a new amp for portability. Use the big guy when I need to be loud and have just a small amp to carry around for practice and light jamming.

Currently my roommate and I will do jam sessions in the living room in the evenings just for the fun of it and I always have to wheel out the whole rig and set it up, then tear the whole thing down. Just looking to make my life a little easier.

11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Clockwise,
    Most Bass Guitars are devoid of mechanical noises that can happen on a EUB. You should carefully listen to the instrument without your amplifier, to see if it's making any noises, by itself. Even a noise that's barely noticeable, can become a real problem when you run it into an amplifier.Using a compressor, could possibly just make the problem worse.

Ric

12. clokwise

clokwise

The pops I am referring to is from popping and slapping the strings against the neck, they are a result of the playing style. Its not that something is wrong.

And the buzz is an electrical buzz. It could be a faulty pickup. I've swapped cables, amps, guitars, and it only happens with the piezo pickup into the amp.