1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Eric Church - Drink In My Hand

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by jeepin_jer1, Nov 26, 2011.

1. jeepin_jer1

jeepin_jer1

2. nboyer941

nboyer941

Wow...anyone care to discuss this? I had to learn this for a cover band. I'm not sure I would have figured out this bassline. It is different. What do you call something like this?

3. nboyer941

nboyer941

thanks for the tab btw. I haven't used tab for years.

4. jeepin_jer1

jeepin_jer1

Thanks! I don't really use them either, LOL!
    Just trying to contribute to my fellow bass players. I know what it's like when the singer says, "learn this song for tomorrow". I usually just fake my way through it in those situations. Because, I have learned so many songs that the singer wanted to do asap and then never play them. or he brings it up several months later (Bastard!). I usually keep a book of my tabs with the band, just in case I can't do a show. Then the fill in bassist has something for reference (if he needs).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

I don't know why singers don't understand these few things:

A) Can they actually sing it?
    B) If they can't sing it in the original key, why can't the singer let us know that right away so we can work with it in advance of a rehearsal in the key they can sing it in?
    C) Do they really understand the playing capabilities of the players in the band? Being a lousy funk player, I'd hate to be told we're going to play a funk song....tomorrow night.
    D) Did they really listen to the backing vocals and as to whether or not they really really really think the rest of the band can cover those vocals and play at the same time?

To me, this is how I pick songs for a band and myself as a vocalist or as a player. Maybe it's my fault for studying who I play with and how they play. I also have a "cheat book" that is like 150 songs strong for country, and about 200 songs for rock.

My band mates ask me when I'm going to dump the music stand. I tell them as soon as they decide to put together a 3 set show and stick with the order. We change dramatically from show to show drives me nuts since I reorganize the music in my binder for every stinking gig, so as to have the charts in the right order.

7. jeepin_jer1

jeepin_jer1

I agree with you all the way! I use to reorganize my cheat book when I first started with the band I'm with now (they had me start before I was even remotely ready, I had maybe half of the nights music worked out for my first gig). Then I realized it was a futile effort, cause the sets always changed. Even after they changed, 2 minutes ago.
    When I first started playing with them, we had a female & male lead (Country Songs of course). I would play acoustic guitar (12 string) and keyboard parts when the bass line wasn't playing anything hard or at all. So I would learn all that and back up vocals for a song we'd play once and then dump it cause one of them couldn't sing it, or didn't want to sing it.
    Rant over, carry on!

8. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

I'm having serious trouble with this song... even with this very nice tab.

Guess i've never played anything like it...

9. jeepin_jer1

jeepin_jer1

The way the bass player plays this song is not what I would call an easy walking bass line (If you compare it to traditional walking bass lines). Don't feel bad if you can't get it right away. This bass line does take a little getting used too. Take it slow at first, then build up to the speed at which they play it. Have fun with it!

10. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

ha i just about got it licked... i replaced those fret numbers with notes ...

thanks again for a well laid out tab.

11. Border

Border

Thanks Jerry, I greatly appreciate your tabs. I have started on Dirt Road Anthem and look forward to working on this one when I come off the road. These are all I needed to push me over the edge and get the 5 string Jazz I have had my eye on for some time. Thanks again, and take care.
    Border.

12. snowplow

snowplow

This is a great tab, I kind of boiled it down to my level when i figured this song out, but its still a lot of fun to play. Got it burned in my head now. When we added ten songs in a week kind of didnt have a choice.

But my lead guitar player thinks this song is a half step up from the CAFC. It makes sense if you listen to it. But nobody is going to be able to tell the difference.

13. hermzy

hermzy

This is great. I've been looking for this. Thanks!

14. jaywa

jaywa

This is a really fun song to play and a great bass line. We had to learn it as a special request (for a wedding if you can believe it). We practiced it, went great in practice... played it at the wedding and completely botched it. Crowd didn't seem to mind but I was p*ssed because there's nothing I hate worse than doing a hack job on a good song.

Anyway... 3 pointers:

1) Watch the tempo. The groove will completely vanish if you play this song too fast. That's what happened to us.

2) The bass line needs to "bounce". It's hard for me to explain but basically you've got to swing it a little instead of playing it metronome straight.

3) It's a "tight but loose" feel. You, the drums and rhythm guitar all need to be feeling it the same but not in lock step. This song IMO has a totally Rolling Stones / Black Crowes feel so listen to a few songs by those bands before you dig into this one to get in the right mindset. "Jealous Again" by the Black Crowes is one in particular that kind of cops the same feel as this tune... right down to the wierd off-beat guitar intro.

15. jimmykicker

jimmykicker

Thank you for this tab. We also have to play it for a wedding this weekend. I have a hard time picking out bass...especially in a hurry which I was today. Saved me a lot of time. I've got the basic groove and will fake the rest. It's all about interpretation anyway to the individual playing it.

Pretty crunchy bass tone for a country song....not surprising since most of the music called country these days are not anything remotely close to country. ;)

--------------------

Traben Array and Neo 5 strings. Yamaha BB 5 string. GK Ultralite 115 and EV 115B with custom cab for club gigs. Real basses have 5 strings, but no more than 5.

16. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

I was in a country band for a while, and we had to play this song. The inside joke was replacing the word "drink" with a different four letter d work with some similar letters...haha

sorry, the song might be ruined for you now :)

17. jimmykicker

jimmykicker

Yeah, I have kinda been doing that. Fun line to play. Takes a bit to get used to it. I have long fingers, so I tend to avoid the open string and play those notes on the corresponding 5th fret string above it. Seems easier to me.

Noticing this is tabbed for 5 string. There isn't anything tabbed on the B string. "it goes bang bang bang"....that's a low C there played on the B. Not griping or anything cause I would have never gotten anywhere near this close on this by myself without hair loss....

Again thanks!

18. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Fun and easy song to play live. If your singer wants to change the key on the flight just adjust your hand position and play the same bass licks. Changing keys is really easy, it only gets hard when the guitar player does not know a requested song and starts making up chords that kind of sound right when you know how the song goes but have to follow him.

19. awilkie84

awilkie84

Personally, I made my own line that sounds similar. :) It's basically just a running blues line, though. This one just drops lower instead of higher.