1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ernie ball cobalts and warwick

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marvingravey, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Marvingravey

Marvingravey

Just a forewarning for any warwick owners out there to stay away from these strings on your warwick bass. I had three ppl at gc and a handful of others highly praise the cobalts. First issue is they do not tapper their strings so the low b string is not compatible with warwick's just a nut 3 bridge system. So I changed out the rest of the strings and left the b string ( I was just going to try and get a tapered low b string if Ernie ball offered them , My research shows they do not.) within one day my d string broke while playing higher ground at band practice. I was very unimpressed. Moral is don't let the hype build these strings up. Find the bad reviews on them and you'll see I'm not the only one who complains about their durability.

*Warwick corvette standard five string and squire by fender five string*

2. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I wonder why Cobalts seem so easy to break.

Non of that Cobal alloy business in the winding should affect how the core behaves. The core should still be the same plain steel as with everybody else.

Unless one sound secret here is less core and more wind, but that would be easy to measure.

3. Marvingravey

Marvingravey

It seems a big complaint is that they break in between the bridge in the saddle. I thought I was maybe playing them too hard, although I have played harder with no issue.

I think you are right about the cores.