Ernie Ball Flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lopesraphael, Dec 29, 2013.

1. lopesraphael

lopesraphael

I've never seen anybody here at TB say something about Ernie Ball Flats.

I mean anything at all as if they didn't exist.

Why? That bad?

2. donn

donn

Someone likes them, or they wouldn't exist. Don't worry too much about what talkbass members think, we spend too much time reading each other's comments and not enough time practicing. Honestly, with a few exceptions the differences between one brand and another are rather subtle, and Ernie Ball isn't one of those exceptions. That said, you can find comments about Ernie Ball flats here, if you look. Mine served me reasonably well, but I tend to get a new set of strings about as often as I get a new bass, which isn't very often, so I'm not in the best position to compare.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I just did quick search in Strings for 'ernie ball' and came up with at least a half dozen threads EB flats are mentioned in the last month ... they for sure aren't as popular as the big 3 or 4, but certainly they have their followers ..

...I have found that they are often talked about being very much 'like' another brand, and that the person prefers the 'other' brand just a 'little bit more' ... I compare them to Chromes (they even have the same blue silk), but I prefer my Chromes just a 'little bit more' ... ;)

... good string though, sticky and zingy at first then settles in ... (I just described the 'other' string that I like just 'a little bit more' too ...

EB flats are a decent, inexpensive option that I could get by just fine with though ...

4. brutalron

brutalron Supporting Member

I use them and love them. I have tried Chromes and Labella deep talking flats and I like the Ernie balls over them. Just one mans opinion, but I do like them as a flat wound option.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Good strings. To me, they are between Fender flats and D'Addario Chromes in character, with a little less growl than the Fenders, and not quite the top end zing of the Chromes. Good all-round strings that settle in quickly and last a long time. I wish they would get up with the rest of the crowd regarding their string gauging for sets. They are the old-school heavy G and light E. So I only purchase a single every so often when necessary.

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Ive used EB's and currently have 45/65/80/100 on a p bass.
    Even though they are compared to chromes alot they are not alike in my experience.
    My set is nice and broken in and they have a great warm thump to them.

8. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk

I've used the 110 set on Precisions (78 and 51RI) and really like them.

9. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

EB Flats are made by D'Addario and from what I've heard are in fact Chromes packaged as EB Flats. I believe that they are the only strings that EB does not make themselves. At least they were when I first heard this 10 years ago. D'Addario makes strings for a lot of other companies as well.

10. liveburning274

liveburning274

Ive really enjoyed EB flats. They are very middle of the road in their tone, but still a great quality string. I even enjoyed the B string as it settled in. My new Sadowsky's are more expressive but I would recommend the EB's to someone who would just like to find out what flats are like.

11. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk

The 110 set I used were nothing like chromes.

12. shawshank72

shawshank72

I had chromes and EB at the same time and sound nothing alike. I agree

13. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

I switched from eb hybrid rounds to eb flats and love them might go to a lighter gauge though the 105s feel a little beefy compared to the rounds