1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ernie Ball Slinkys

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BamaRocker, Feb 7, 2012.

1. BamaRocker

BamaRocker

Im currently playing Ernie Ball Slinkys on my SR700 and i love the low tension feel. I am useing the one in pink wrapper .100.

My question is, is there a longer lasting string with same low tension...and not as rough on the fingers.

Sometimes after 2 to 3 hrs the strings feel like they are chewing up my fingers. But with the low tension there is no hand fatique.

maybe different string but lower guage to give the same feel..

Thanks
  2. cdseverance

cdseverance

My experience with EB Slinky's is this. ( no offense please) They are possibly one of the worst bass strings ever made. They have a VERY high nickel content in them which makes them sound very "clanky." If you want a smooth sounding string that is easy on the fingers and sound incredible......try a med. lite gauge set of Rotosound swingbass. You won't be disappointed!!!!
  3. jabsys

jabsys

That's why they sound so good, if they lasted longer I'd say they were one of the best strings.
  4. king rew

king rew

coated EB slinkys of the same gauge
  5. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog Supporting Member

I doubt you will find that "bright" sound in any other kind of string other than a round wound.
  6. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

I would suggest the Coated Slinkys. They should last longer but I have never use them and they have only been out for a year or two IIRC.
  7. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

I found D'addario nickel XL's to be pretty similar to EB's. The DA's are a little "brighter" and seem to retain that sound for much longer than the EB's did for me and are also a little smoother to the touch.

It doesnt hurt that you can order 2packs of XL's for the price of one either. If you dont like them you can sell the other set and try some thing else.
  8. BamaRocker

BamaRocker

Lowactnsatsfctn...

Did the DA's feel like the same string tension.. I was thinking about trying the Coated EB thinking maybe caoting would help some of the roughness...

Thanks for all the replys everyone...
  9. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

Also, you should check out the new Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky strings when they're released at the end of this month. Per all the reviews, they are very smooth and last a considerably long time.
  10. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

Yes and I agree with his suggestion. D'Addarios are very similar to Slinkies but they last longer.
  11. BamaRocker

BamaRocker

MELVIN you Rock, I had no idea about Cobolt's that sound's perfect I called our Guitar Center and they expect shipment next week...I will let you know how they work out..

Thanks again for all the responses everyone...:):):):)
  12. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

The tension seems pretty close between the two. I think the DA's are a little tighter but probably not noticable.

There was a long period that I used EB strings on both of my basses.... I haven't looked back since trying a few different brands. I love their basses, the strings, not so much.

As far as the Cobalt goes, IDK I've never used them
  13. Andy_D

Andy_D Supporting Member

TI Jazz Rounds are very low tension and last a looong time. I never tried slinkies so I can't comment on the feel.
  14. Zeebs_23

Zeebs_23

I just changed my strings on my Gibson Thunderbird to Slinky's, I decided to try out the cobalt ones just for the heck of it. I'm not terribly disappointed with them, but that being said, I'm not a huge fan either. I know what you mean about the 'rough' feel to them.

Compared to my last set of strings, Elixir med gauge, they're quite a bit lesser quality imo, if you're looking for smoothness while still keeping a low tension you should check them out. They have some sort of nanoweb coating on it making them very, very smooth, and quite long lasting.

It might just be me, but as soon as I switched from Elixir to slinky's my hammer-ons , pull-offs, and slides all are not as effortless and smooth, and a lot less clear

And around where I am, the Elixir strings are only about 5-10 $(Canadian) more than the Cobalt Slinky's I just bought

Certainly going back to Elixirs, unless I'm feeling adventurous again
  15. Crabby

Crabby

Funny I love Slinkys on many of my basses especially my Stingrays and Bongo. I have tried other brands on these basses and the Slinkys just work. I personally despise the Daddario nickle strings in comparison to the Slinkys and am aware that many think they are the same string.
  16. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I'm going to try D'Addarios on my SR5. The stock Slinkys still sound fine to me after 3 months however, which is at odds with what many say about Slinkys not lasting long but maybe is because my taste in strings tends be towards flats anyway so thump is good in my world.
  17. Jensby design

Jensby design

I think Ernie Ball sharpens their strings to help them cut through the mix :rolleyes:
    I no longer use Ernie Ball for that reason.
  18. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I love Slinky roundwounds.
    Both the .045 - .100 set, and the .050 - .105 set.
    I play them on a jazz PuP style instrument.