Ernie Ball Steels- similar to Rotosound 66s?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Venom of God, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Venom of God

Venom of God

Hey guys, I was just curious if the Ernie Ball steel strings are similar to Rotosound 66's at all? My local shop is out of the Roto's (which I've used exclusively for years now) and recommended those, though I tend to fear change! They also have the Rotosound Piano strings in stock but they look a little odd.

Cheers!
  2. Venom of God

Venom of God

Only other option are D'Addario's, which I use on my acoustic, though I don't really want nickel strings. Or Elixir's, which I hate.
  3. Duckwater

Duckwater

Not close at all. I'm not fan of their sound and they die even faster than Rotos IMO.
  4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    DR High Beams, D'Addario Pro Steels or Dean Markley Blue Steels would be my next choice. But I would order from BassStringsOnline if it wasnt and emergency.
  5. Catbuster

Catbuster

Use the D'Addario ProSteels
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've yet to find strings that are like Rotosounds. I'd stick with them if that's the sound you like.
  7. Catbuster

Catbuster

But that's not an option for him...
  8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Order on line. I agree that Blue Steels are the next closest thing.
  9. skee616

skee616

10. Venom of God

Venom of God

I might just wait it out, I was about to order from Bass Strings Online but once you add postage to Australia it's a little exy for me when I'm not currently in a gigging band (I'm a poor uni student with rent and bills to pay!). The only other brands of bass string my local shop stock are Ernie Balls, nickel D'Addario's and Elixirs, so DR's and what not aren't an option for me unfortunately.
  11. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Out of those the D'Addario nickels would be my choice. They arent a bad string at all.
  12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Order rotosounds thru amazon. MF, or other fave online dealer if local stores dont got. EB wont sound like rotos, nor will blue steels and others suggested.
  13. Venom of God

Venom of God

I might grab a set of these then, I use D'Addario's on my 6 string acoustic so keep it in the family a bit I guess! Plus you're a Thunderbird player so I trust you :smug:

Amazon is the same price as BassStringsOnline, I'd rather support those guys if I were to buy online!
  14. Johnpjm

Johnpjm Supporting Member

Roto's are pretty darn unique, pretty grippy to my fingers. The Ernie Ball Super Slinkies are a lot sharper, but faster. I'm not a huge fan of them, they cut through my fingers pretty quickly.
  15. Venom of God

Venom of God

You know, I don't mind these D'Addario's! They feel very easy on the fingers which is nice and odd at the same time, but the mellower tone allows me to dial in a bit more presence and add more distortion without it being overly harsh like the Roto's. I'll use both sets (two for the price of one rules, too) and then get another set of Roto's and see how I feel..
  16. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    They are nice and soft feeling then the Rotos thats for sure. They dont have the Rotosound grind though but were talking nickle instead of steal.
  17. Duckwater

Duckwater

If you have the option to get Labella Steels, they are pretty close to 66s IMO
  18. winterburn69

winterburn69

In my experience, the only thing moderately close to Rotosound 66s are Blue Steels.
  19. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

I really like the Roto 66 steels but have yet to try the Roto nickels. Maybe they are a good in-between from the Roto steels and the D'Addario nickels. I love the Roto tone but the steels can get a bit harsh when using distortion. I bet the Roto nickels might be less harsh sounding in this situation yet still have the similar tone...
  20. Melonthief

Melonthief

I'm a lifelong Roto user, but lately have been playing more and more and going through strings as a result.
    The Ernie Balls cost roughly half what the Rotos do and even though they don't have that Roto feel and sound they aren't too bad. I use the heavy ones 55-110 (purple pack)
    They seem to sound better and last longer than the lighter gauges.