Ernie Ball volume pedal has a 'pop' when maxed out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by K2000, Jan 24, 2014.

1. K2000

K2000

I bought a used EB VPJr online, and it looks darn near brand new. String looks perfect too. But when I step on it all the way, when I hit bottom there's kind of a pop… almost like a quick volume jump I guess, just when I hit rock bottom. It makes a noise, I' don't know if I can describe it any better than that. It's super annoying since these things are supposed to be smooth. Does anybody have experience with this? Maybe it's an easy fix?

BTW, I looked inside the pedal for the switch to see if I could change the taper (like maybe that would help?) but this one doesn't have a switch… I thought they all did?

Anyway, I wonder what could be wrong here?
  2. K2000

K2000

Bump… anybody had this issue with a volume pedal (a "blip" when bottoming out)?
  3. K2000

K2000

Upon inspection, I can see the internal "taper selector" switch is missing. That must have something to do with it?
  4. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Which version of the VP Jr. do you have? Not all of them have the taper switch. If I recall, the higher impedance version (250K?) does have the switch whilst the lower impedance version (25K?) does not have the taper switch.
  5. K2000

K2000

Sorry for the slow reply, I was gone from my practice space, then I forgot to take notes and I forgot the markings when I got home. :rolleyes:

I have the problem pedal in front of me now, it's a VPJR. that says 25k Ohm Pedal on the front plate.

(I have another VPJR. that works fine for me, which says nothing on the front plate.)

I'm playing through a bunch of pedals upstream, some of them are pretty noisy/loud/gainy. Maybe the pedal is a mismatch for me? But even when I went directly into the amp, it was "blipping" at the max volume.

Besides the "glitch" when it bottoms out, I also noticed a dead spot which happens if I am moving the treadle kind of slow, in a certain zone (75% depressed).

Any help is appreciated.
  6. K2000

K2000

Desperation Bump
  7. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat

I, too, have a 25K EB VP Jr., and it pops when up full. I blamed it on the cable. Now I don't know if it's the cable or the pedal.

Great.

So, I'm no help, but consider me subscribed.
  8. aphexafx

It's hard to diagnose from here. Your pedal doesn't come with a taper switch so that's not the issue. From what you're saying I'm gathering that this happens in maximum volume position and when u say 'bottomed out' you mean topped out? Anyway, it's a simple circuit so any discontinuity in the attenuation is most likely a bad pot unless something is shorting out under the pressure of your foot. If it's consistent then I'd bet on a bad pot. They can be replaced, luckily, and EB sells them to you.

If you have a multimeter you can test the attenuation by tracking the resistance measured over the range of movement, but the non-linear response in your audible sound kinda tells the story there.
  9. K2000

K2000

Thanks for the reply, I will write to Ernie Ball and ask them to confirm the pot issue.

Weird because this pedal looks virtually new.

I've changed my own EBVP string before (tricky, but doable). Maybe changing the pot will be the next challenge.
  10. aphexafx

Be sure to report what you find. It sounds like others have the same issue, idk.
  11. K2000

K2000

Sorry for the slow update, my fault. Ernie Ball has great customer service BTW, they answered me the same day.

"From your description either your pot needs to be adjusted, cleaned, or replaced. The pots in our Jr models are open, so you could spray a little cleaner and might get results.
    Our 25k pedals do not come with a taper select switch. "

I'm going to see if I can shoot some Deoxit in there, and fix it on my own. "Open pots" sounds like a design flaw to me, on a pedal that flaps open and closed, and lives on the floor. But I don't know.