1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Esh Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by konfishily, Aug 24, 2005.

1. konfishily

konfishily

Im curious if anyone has any experience with these basses. What are they like? Sound? Quality? Their homepage is down and everything else is in german.

I saw the bassist from edguy use it (powermetal). And i initially couldnt figure out the brand.
  2. Kink Rimson

Kink Rimson

Haven't played one myself but I know Pete Steele from Type O Negative used to play one... that's probably not very helpful as he's rather fond of his distortion.

Oh well. They look good. :)
  3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

As far as I know, Esh Basses are no more. I read about it on a German bass forum. If you're lucky, you can snag one used or perhaps some bass places still have a few in stock.
  4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

WOW! That's a shame if true! What happened?

~S~

PS: Not that long ago I think a TB member had one built/ordered...do a search...
  5. konfishily

konfishily

yea this stinks

every search i do, leads me to the homepage (which is out of order/or under construction). Actually i cant tell, its in german, and theres a guy digging a ditch.

anyway, its a shame. it sounded very good live, very punchy and full.
  6. wildduck#7

wildduck#7

Hi,

i'm from Germany and own 2 ESH basses, a Various V and a Stinger V, both with 2 humbuckers. I like them both a lot, they play great and have a versatile sound due to the Eshtronic /w Piezo, but the history of the company is a little disturbing. Last year, the original company, owned and leaded by Zoltan Narray went down, but restarted under a very similar but different name a little later.
    They had a lot of quality problems (one of my basses also) and it is reported on some forums that they changed their production often.
    Currently, one of the biggest online music stores in Europe / Germany, Thomann (www.thomann.de) sells some Various'es for very reasonable prices.
    Also, they sell some stuff on 'bay, thats where i got my Stinger from.
    There are a lot of stories flowing round the net regarding bad business behaviour, but, as always, the real truth is unknown.
    If i can help you with further information you can contact me.

Disclaimer: I neither have nor never had a business relation with ESH, i am just a customer of them.

My 2 Basses:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. caruso

caruso

ESH went bankrupt some time ago leaving client who paid in advance not only without their basses but additionally without paying back the advance.
    There are several juridical processes under way.

The quality of most of what ESH produced during the last 3 to 4 years is not worth a dime.

The new company (same personnel) does not appear to be really serious as they build basses that are copies of for example, Explorers etc.

The Thomann basses are made from left over parts in the ESH workshop.
  8. konfishily

konfishily

Bad quality as in careless production, poor assembly/construction?

i checked thomann.de, they have the various 4 priced at 500 euro.

not sure about the exchange rate though, what that is in US.
  9. caruso

caruso

Bad quality as in that the neck joints found on a lot of basses was not tight, the painting was done, let' say amateurish, 4 string body coupled with 5 string necks etc. There were rumors that ESH started producing in the east (nor far east).
    The ESH company was founded by 3 bass nuts and they produced only 1 model, the Souvereign, this bass is the most playable bass and best sounding I have ever found during my 29 years of playing. It was build by a luthier named Cristoph Kost. Today he builds his own basses in Aachen. Mr. Kost quit the company in late 1992 and Zoltan Naray opend a new workshop in Trier. The quality of the then build instruments still remained excellent but with a growing demand they started to bild other models like Hero, Stinger, Various, Notorious I and II (one a Stingray copy, the other a Jazz copy) and slowly the quality began to deteriorate.
    What really happend I don't know. In my opinion, Zoltan needed someone to do the business side to have time to dedicate himself to the basses and the production.
    I've got to know him as a very friendly, helpful and serious man and don't really understand his behaviour during the last 3 years.

If someone is interested in ESH basses try to find one in a store to try out but for the time being don't order one custom and pay an advance.

Zoltan bought all rights, machines etc. from the bankrupt ESH Gitarrenkonzeption Trier for his new company. Strange thing.

The Thomann price would be around 600 US at the mom.
  10. Aussiephoenix

Aussiephoenix

I've got a customized Esh Stinger V.

Sweet bass, great construction, useless preamp (scrapped), pretty good pups.

Its a keeper for me. here's a pic:

[​IMG]
  11. z15

z15

I just got a fretless ESH Sovereign IV (apparently from '90 or so, when they were supposed to have pretty good quality control) as my first fretless, pretty much blind from eBay. Seemed right down my alley based on pictures, comments and reviews... Eagerly waiting it to arrive. Are there any other Sovereign owners / players who could tell me what to expect? :)
  12. KwanzaaBassist

KwanzaaBassist

I was just looking for stuff about their basses and came upon their website. http://esh-bass.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/lang,en/

It looks like they are making a comeback from whatever bankruptcy they were dealing with. Unfortunately it looks like they are not selling any of their older bass models especially the Stinger.

Hopefully someone post a review on their new products and hopefully the review will be good.
  13. Gugnir

Gugnir

Yes, Esh is back (http://www.esh-bass.com)!

They are now located in southern Germany and have a new team. They bought the rights on the old Esh basses. So far, they offer the classic Various and Sovereign models plus a new model, the Poseidon.

Really nice people, I've been e-mailing with Ralf, and he told me they'll bring back the STINGER!!!
    They're still working on it, but he hopes they'll be able to show at the NAMM in january 09 or so.

Well, I know what my next bass will look like :hyper:
    I just love the Stinger shape... Oh my god, still such a long time to wait...
  14. spacepunk

spacepunk

Like Gugnir told,
    today I found the picture on the esh website.
    Looks GREAT.
    I am courious , when it will be available in the shops.

Here comes the link!

http://esh-bass.com/content/view/46/28

15. Hopper

Hopper

There was a review of this model in a UK bass magazine recently:
    [​IMG]

"Significant neck dive"

"£3500"
  16. SquiggFSM

SquiggFSM

They've got a Stinger, and a Stinger II now, I'm quite interested in the Stinger II...

Anyone got anymore info??
  17. SquiggFSM

SquiggFSM

18. Stinger5

Stinger5

I recently got an ESH stinger II 5 classic and it's super freakin' sweet, I'd never heard of ESH before but i wish i had.

Have a look on www.bassdirect.co.uk good stuff, or at least email him bout his thoughts
  19. BassesForTheWin

BassesForTheWin

looks like something Les Claypool puked out, genues!