1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Esh Jazz Bass Black&Maple, German Handmade 1997, FS or FT for Geddy!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Josh Thatguy, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I'm making some changes to start off 2014, so...
    Up for grabs is this gorgeous jazz, one of 7 according to my research from the sources in Germany, and one of two sent to the United States back then. Made in 1997 during the first regime of Esh, when quality of these handmade basses was the priority. Cost was over $2,500 back then.

To go ahead and get the price question out of the way, I'm looking for $650 shipped in the lower 48 states. I will also TRADE for a CIJ/MIJ Fender Geddy, sunburst preferred.

The only reason I'm selling this is to fund my Geddy G.A.S. in early '14. I played a couple of Geddys in '13 and I'm crazy for the neck size. Gotta add one to the stable to see what it's like to own one.

The neck on the Esh is very much as P-BASS size and shape. When I bought it, I assumed it would have a J-neck, but it's definitely a Precision type. The very few players whom I've let pick it up have remarked immediately "cool, a P-bass neck!" It's thick and comfortable, with a great feel and shape... but I need a J-size.

As you can see, all the hardware is black, even including the nut! I can't help but think that this thing would look great with DR Black Beauties or the new Rotosound black strings! The tuners are Hipshot, with a D-Tuner also.
    The pickups and preamp are Kent Armstrong, 9V, and the bridge is an ABM with a wide range of adjustments. Straplocks are Schaller.

I have it pictured here without the pickguard, and I love the look that way. I will include the pickguard with it, which is a black/white/black three ply SCREWLESS guard, so there's NO HOLES in the body! The pickguard does show some pick & fingernail scratches from over the years, but it did its job with the previous owner in protecting the body. With this bass, I play fingerstyle between the pickups, so I haven't put any marks on the body.

Overall, I'd rate the condition as a strong 8 on a 10-scale. The most noticeable character marks are a few on the headstock as pictured (from the previous owner with a low ceiling, perhaps?) and two very very minor marks on the back of the neck, one around the first fret, one around the tenth fret on the G-string side. These are almost impossible to see, and they were almost impossible for me to photograph. You can feel them, but barely see them. Again, they are m i n o r, they are not gouges or scrapes or anything that would require sanding or refinishing. The body has three dings I've tried to photograph, but these are spots you have to really look for to see. The first one that was big enough to photograph is on the front side of the bottom horn, and nobody sees it unless you point it out. The second is a ssssssmall ding on the front side of the body, and again, nobody, including you, will notice it unless you're looking. These are dings that would disappear on any other color body, but black is unforgiving. The third is on the back near the top horn, and has a small chip of paint missing. Even so, it's not bad at all, and doesn't get seen when the bass is being played.
    You will see in one of the photos that I have a press-on Ipad screen protector on the back to prevent buckle rash. This a non-adhesive item, it's more of a static cling thing. It does a fine job of preventing buckle marks, but is easily removeable.
    The Esh ships boxed up and in a really nice, thick padded Esh gig bag with the company logo embroidered on it (it's the one that came with my Esh Stinger).

Again, I'm looking for $650 shipped to the lower 48, international bidders please message me and we'll see. Paypal accepted. A Japanese Geddy will be the perfect swap. I'm in the mid-South, so if you are too, we can probably work out an in-person swap or sale.
    I answer PMs and emails in late afternoons and overnights.
    Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. Josh Thatguy

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0

Disclosures:
    ANOTHER ANGLE, PLUS THE BRIDGE

Attached Files:

3. Josh Thatguy

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0

Disclosures:
    Tried to highlight the dings.... hard to do, they're small. The one with the paint chip (which is still black underneath) is not nearly that bad in person, but I tried to get photos in the harshest light possible to be perfectly clear. It's on the BACK of the body near the top horn and can't be seen when playing.
    I used that harsh light to try and highlight the mark on the neck near the first fret. It's that small diagonal line on the left side of the photo. Again, hardly noticeable.
    Thre one near the tenth fret wouldn't show up at all in the pictures I tried to take.

Attached Files:

4. Josh Thatguy

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0

Disclosures:
    If you need other photos, let me know, and I'l gladly email them, or post them here. I've announced the condition of this bass as accurately as possible. Overall, it's a GREAT-playing instrument that turns heads with its look AND its tone. It's bright-sounding, lively, and makes my rosewood-fretboard basses feel dead by comparison. But, you can also get some booooming lows with the neck pickup and the bass cranked up, which reminds me, the controls are Vol/Vol/Treble/Bass.
    I would not even consider selling it were it not for the fact that I want to try a superslimneck Geddy.
    I might hate myself later, but such is life.

Let me add this:
    As for my feedback... here's the deal on my one "negative" from almost a year ago: I traded a vintage mid-80s Ibanez phaser pedal for a Boss bass eq. I was running the phaser with a 9-volt battery, and it worked great in my signal chain, because I did not have the original power source, and I wasn't going to goof around with a non-specific power source.
    The buyer/trader did not contact me until **after using, by his own admission, "several" power sources.** (Those asterisks aren't covering swear words; I put them there for emphasis on the fact that the guy tried a bunch of power sources, THEN contacted me about a sudden "noise in the pedal.") Now, I'm easy to work with, but to me, if he used a few different power sources on a vintage pedal while trying to find the one that worked, instead of a 9v battery that was working fine, then that "noise that's there now" was on him. Seriously, I'm not here to get one over on anybody. My stuff works, and any issues or conditions will be announced ahead of time. That's why I've listed all the details on the Esh, as opposed to some quick pics and vague description.

Attached Files:

5. Josh Thatguy

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0

Disclosures:
    Check out http://esh-bass.com/ for current Esh prices, though they don't make a Jazz like mine anymore (again, mine was one of 7 in 1997 when the factory employed about a dozen people).

This Esh is a bass that people assume is a $2,500+ custom build when they see it... and HEAR it (or play it, if I let them and if they have the credentials!). This is a great chance for someone to own a bass with a mucho-prestige factor, on the cheap!
  6. kozyko

kozyko Supporting Member

0   0   0

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: D'addario Strings
  7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    Im not a Jazz guy but I like this
  8. Swamptractor

Swamptractor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

9. Swamptractor

Swamptractor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Hey! How's the weight? Any fret/neck issues? Are the Kents singles or splits? Thanks.

10. Josh Thatguy

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0

Disclosures:
    The weight is around 9.5 on an older bathroom scale. The balance is great, it's not neck-heavy... it's a great player.

I get just a bit more fret buzz on the G string around frets 4, 5, 6 under moderate attack, but it's not bad at all. That didn't start until I put the latest set of Rotos rounds on it last month, but they weren't the Swingbass 66s I'd been using on it, so I think that's the difference. I can't remember the gauge on there as I type this, but I can check the Rotosound package tomorrow when I'm home. I've actually got the action intentionally set up for some buzz--- I love the Geddy Lee-ish type fretbuzz (search Youtube for the isolated Moving Pictures bass tracks to hear what I mean) , just to add character. It could easily be set up to take it out. Again, it's NOTHING bad, I just like it for the voice it adds.

The neck is fine except for the two minor spots I've mentioned and the one that would actually show up in the photo. The truss rod works as it should. I spent about two weeks making minor adjustments until I was completely happy with the setup, and like I said, I actually dialed in a little buzz just to romanticize the tone some. Between the truss rod and the ABM bridge, this thing is nearly infinitely adjustable. The bridge by itself is a $215 part http://www.allparts.com/BB-3420-003-ABM-3704-B-Lock-Down-Bass-Bridge_p_606.html if you wanted one through Allparts! If you notice in my bridge photo, I've got the G-string saddle set wide, and that was simply just playing around with the angle of the string over the pickups one day. You'll see on the Kent Armstrong links that you don't have to actually have the string dead-nuts-in-the-middle of the poles to get the proper string volume. I was playing around with it to put that theory to the test, and it was true, and before I knew it, I'd gotten used to the wide G-string spacing. You can easily tighten up the spacing-- and height, and therefore volume-- on each string easily with this bridge.

The pickups are these: http://www.wdmusic.com/VJBR.html
    and http://www.wdmusic.com/VJBF.html , on an active 9-volt preamp tucked in the rout in the back (no seprate battery pocket= less wood drilled out of the body). They are hum-canceling when both are turned up at the same time. They are HOT and BRIGHT! If you're splitting or blending them, or isolating them, you do get some hum IF and ONLY IF you're not touching anything... strings included. In other words, unless you just stand there with it hanging around your neck, you won't hear the hum. It's NOT an obtrusive noise in any normal playing or recording situation.
  11. Josh Thatguy

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0

Disclosures:
    If you're a black&maple fan, you gotta love it.
    I'm going to get some daylight shots of it on Friday that will actually upload.. the last ones I took were way too big.

This thing IS gorgeous.
  12. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

WHOA!!! A P like Jazz. Black and Maple. I'm in love. This may make me reconsider the my quest for a 5er :)

What's the nut size?
  13. Swamptractor

Swamptractor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Mine! PM sent.
  14. Josh Thatguy

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0

Disclosures:
    Deal pending... pics will be posted with the pickguard on it, and a tape measure on the nut width (1&5/8), IF the deal falls through.
    Checking back out here in a while.
    Thanks for the interest so far!
  15. Swamptractor

Swamptractor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

PayPal sent! Thanks, Josh.
  16. Josh Thatguy

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0

Disclosures:
    ........aaaaaaaaaaaaaand SOLD!

Swamptractor is the proud new owner... Thanks to him, and to everyone who messaged me and had comments about this bass.
    Cheers!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.