1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ESP B208-FM 8 string pup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbo2112, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

I'm looking at replacing the stock pickups in my 8 string bass. In general, I prefer the warm traditional P bass tone, but also want to make sure the octave strings on the 8 string are loud and clear.

the bass comes with a 3 band active EQ.
    here is the bass - The ESP Guitar Company | 2012 USA Website

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

thanks
  2. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

I just got one of these. It's no Hamer, but then again, it's not priced like one. I bought it used and it sounded OK, but replacing the battery and new strings really made it come alive. The octave strings are a lot brighter now.
  3. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

I've always wondered what these would sound like with some EMG 7 string guitar pickups like the 707. Anyway, I have the EMG HZ's in my 8 string and it sounds fantastic!
  4. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

Did you put the HZ's in an ESP B208FM or another 8 string?
  5. AtomicPunk

I'm thinking about upgrading the pickups in mine now...did we ever find a good replacement set of pickups? Mine say ESP on the covers but I'm pretty sure they are just re-branded.
  6. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

The Shecter studio 8 has EMG 35HZ and that's what one of the other posters put in his. Haven't seen or heard of anything else.
  7. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX Supporting Member

I replaced the the stock neck pup in my Dean 12ver with a SGD "deep" sidewinder. HUGE improvement in sound. Has a deep, punchy, very "natural" sound.
  8. AtomicPunk

Just to provide info for those in the future, I replaced my pickups with EMG 40 Hz 5 string pickups, dropped right in and sound much better than the original ESP pickups.