1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

ESP B208-FM 8 string pup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbo2112, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm looking at replacing the stock pickups in my 8 string bass. In general, I prefer the warm traditional P bass tone, but also want to make sure the octave strings on the 8 string are loud and clear.

the bass comes with a 3 band active EQ.
    here is the bass - The ESP Guitar Company | 2012 USA Website

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

thanks

2. I just got one of these. It's no Hamer, but then again, it's not priced like one. I bought it used and it sounded OK, but replacing the battery and new strings really made it come alive. The octave strings are a lot brighter now.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. I've always wondered what these would sound like with some EMG 7 string guitar pickups like the 707. Anyway, I have the EMG HZ's in my 8 string and it sounds fantastic!

5. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

Nov 3, 2011
    Did you put the HZ's in an ESP B208FM or another 8 string?

6. I'm thinking about upgrading the pickups in mine now...did we ever find a good replacement set of pickups? Mine say ESP on the covers but I'm pretty sure they are just re-branded.

7. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

Nov 3, 2011
    The Shecter studio 8 has EMG 35HZ and that's what one of the other posters put in his. Haven't seen or heard of anything else.

8. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I replaced the the stock neck pup in my Dean 12ver with a SGD "deep" sidewinder. HUGE improvement in sound. Has a deep, punchy, very "natural" sound.

9. Just to provide info for those in the future, I replaced my pickups with EMG 40 Hz 5 string pickups, dropped right in and sound much better than the original ESP pickups.