ESP B208-FM 8 string pup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbo2112, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

I'm looking at replacing the stock pickups in my 8 string bass. In general, I prefer the warm traditional P bass tone, but also want to make sure the octave strings on the 8 string are loud and clear.

the bass comes with a 3 band active EQ.
    here is the bass - The ESP Guitar Company | 2012 USA Website

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

thanks

2. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

I just got one of these. It's no Hamer, but then again, it's not priced like one. I bought it used and it sounded OK, but replacing the battery and new strings really made it come alive. The octave strings are a lot brighter now.

3. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

I've always wondered what these would sound like with some EMG 7 string guitar pickups like the 707. Anyway, I have the EMG HZ's in my 8 string and it sounds fantastic!

4. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

Did you put the HZ's in an ESP B208FM or another 8 string?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

I'm thinking about upgrading the pickups in mine now...did we ever find a good replacement set of pickups? Mine say ESP on the covers but I'm pretty sure they are just re-branded.

7. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

The Shecter studio 8 has EMG 35HZ and that's what one of the other posters put in his. Haven't seen or heard of anything else.

8. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX Supporting Member

I replaced the the stock neck pup in my Dean 12ver with a SGD "deep" sidewinder. HUGE improvement in sound. Has a deep, punchy, very "natural" sound.

9. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Just to provide info for those in the future, I replaced my pickups with EMG 40 Hz 5 string pickups, dropped right in and sound much better than the original ESP pickups.