1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ESP LTD B-204SM fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Jan 2, 2014.

1. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

Any thoughts or experience?
    I'm thinking about one of these as a first fretless (see my thread "your fretless experience").
    Looks like a lot of bass for the money, and I haven't read any bad reviews on them.
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

3. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I had the 5 string version, the only issue I had was the inlay at the 12th fret, mine wasn't completely flush and you could hear the difference when you slide over it.
  4. 6stringvince

What would it compare to sound wise?
  5. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I think you'd be very pleased with the ESP 4, I played one at a shop here before I pulled the trigger and ordered a new 5 on line and found the 4 played and sounded as good as the 5 I eventually purchased. I own 4 other guitars (see public profile) and would probably find the ESP closest to my 6 Thumb w/Bartollini pups. It's hard to compare it with anything I own/have played because I put nylon tapewounds on the ESP a couple days after I purchased it. I play it all the controls flat out and find that it gives more of a "woody" than "growly" sound, but, again, that might be more due to the strings I have on it. Another thing I like about this guitar; I've been taking it to my church along with my RBV, and have switched it up between songs in sets where I though appropriate. I didn't need to make any volume adjustments, it balanced nicely with the Beck. I bought the ESP because I read so many comments from players who played fretless and then had it sit idle once the novelty wore off, so I didn't want to spend a whole lot of cash. For me, to spend $420 Cdn. for a new instrument that was ready to go right out of the box was tremendous value. Like I said previously, it's been gratifying to find that it really does supplement my fretted guitars nicely with its unique sound, and I can't see it or any other fretless I might upgrade with ever sitting idle. Hope this helps.
  6. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

Ordered one and a set of D'Addario tapes yesterday:

Attached Files:

• 075.jpg
      075.jpg
      File size:
      157.5 KB
      Views:
  7. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Awesome! Think you're really gonna love it. Already know how you feel about that spalted maple top! :D Keep us posted on how you like it with those tape wounds.
  8. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Looks like a super nice bass, been interested in it for a while now.
  9. 6stringvince

I went yesterday to pick up a fretless advertised on Craigslist, when I got there it was a Pawn shop, and the "fretless" had frets! I played it for a bit, nice bass, but I already have too many fretted basses. Blah!!!
  10. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

Oh, the bitter disappointment...
  11. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

The D'Addarios seem to have a darker sound than the GHS on my other fretless. If I back the bass off most of the way, the tone seems more balanced, and more in line with what I'd like to hear - sort of faux upright. I like it a lot!
  12. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Remember to post pics when you get it - congrats.