1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ESP LTD B5E vs D5 vs B205

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockinBass85, Feb 5, 2014.

1. RockinBass85

RockinBass85

Hey y'all I'm in the market for a new bass as I get rid of my old one, an '85 Ibanez RB850. I recently played an ESP LTD B4E at the local music store that had been professionally set up. The low action meant for some great playing. I played an ATK805E and a Yamaha BB425X, but I enjoyed the neck and action on the ESP a lot more.

I'm looking preferably for a 5 string. I'd like to have a 6 string, but I've never played one, I like to slap and Idk if that would be possible or comfortable on a 6 string:confused:.

After looking up ESP and sifting through their basses. The F5E/B5E, the D5, and the B205 are right within my price range. I've checked the specs on each bass. They use the same: bridges, electronics, nut, tuners. I also know the main difference between the F5E/B5E, the D5, and the B205 is that the former have neck-thru-body.

I would appreciate any input from current ESP owners or past owners. Anyone that has had experience playing with any of these basses. THE local music store only had the B4E which I was able to play thoroughly and enjoy, however I haven't been able to try out the other two. Can anyone give me input on the D5 or the B205? Are their necks receptive to a low action set up? The B4E was effortless to slap and tap on because of the low action and the purpose of this pursuit is that if I can get the same thing from the B4E, but in a less expensive bass then that's a win for me. Thanks for your inputs :bassist:

2. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

I just picked up an ESP LTD B-205SM.

I have the action extremely low and it plays beautifully all up and down the neck on every fret and every string (and that's downtuned a half step with no truss rod adjustment).

I feel the electronics/pups are very good and can offer a pretty wide range of tonal options. I would say that the bass is quite bright naturally. Mine has an ash body with a spalted maple top.

It is a tad bit on the heavy side (don't know the weight off hand), but it is very ergonomically designed and well balanced so it doesn't feel as heavy wearing and playing it as it does just picking it up.

Definitely well built. Very tight neck pocket and the fit and finish overall is done very well. Had I not known what the price was, I would have guessed it to be higher than what it sells for. Well worth the money. I haven't found one single negative thing I can say about it.