ESP LTD BB4 or Yamaha TRbx. 504

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bohemond, Feb 26, 2014.

Which bass would you choose.

Poll closed Mar 1, 2014.
  1. ESP LTD BB4

39.1%
  2. YAMAHA TRBX 504

60.9%
  1. bohemond

bohemond

I have narrowed my choice to one of these two but cant make up my mind on which one to purchase. I have only listened to the sound clips on youtube vids as i cant find one on the shelves to try out. The Esp has the seymor duncans Quarter pound pj config. While the yammy has the dual alnico buckers. Both are active and have active passive choice which i want. Both come in black which i want as well. Cost is about same. I think one is a hundred more but thats no concern. I cant sleep over this. I know thats bad but its driving me crazy I would be tuning drop d on occasion aa well. Can anyone help recommend. Thanks!'

2. BassPlummet

BassPlummet

I like the look of the ESP more than the Yamaha, to be honest.

3. TrickPanda

TrickPanda

I based my reply on having two Yamamas and one ESP Ltd. Really though you need to get your hands on them and see which one feels the best. If that doesn't work, simply flip a coin ;)

4. Temcat

Temcat

Is there a proper video review of TRBX 504/505? My quick search didn't show anything that qualifies.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bohemond

bohemond

The yammy is winning. I wish sweetwater had it in white

7. Bobster

Bobster

bohemond,

Every review I've seen of the BB-4 has been extremely positive, the Seymour Duncans w/3-band EQ seems like a very flexible system.

What I've seen of the Yamaha has been very positive as well (only possible negative I've read is that the pickups are somewhat low output).

On both basses, it's also nice to be able to bypass the EQ and still have a tone control.

What are your feeling about bolt-on vs neckthrough? The BB-4 is neckthrough, of course.

One final point, the BB-4 is currently discounted about $200 at Sweetwater. It has been selling more prior to NAAM.

Good luck w/the choice!

Bob

8. bohemond

bohemond

Thanks. Bob. I prefer string thru bridge rather than body. My only experience with esp was a 404 i believe and it what a cheaper model that had a chunky neck. I will check sweetwaters price. I need something with more output in the pus than my squier vm.

9. Bobster

Bobster

bohemond,

The BB-4 is neckthrough, meaning the body and neck are one-piece, unlike the more traditional bolt on neck like the Yamaha.

Neckthrough's are said to have more sustain, but don't sound quite as agressive.

And, if there's ever a problem with the neck it's very difficult/impossible to replace.

I've got an Ltd B-1005 which is a neckthrough and like it a whole lot, but I've had a lot of bolt-ons too.

Bob

10. bohemond

bohemond

I read ya wrong. Yes I do know neck through. Thanks

11. tedious1

tedious1

Question, have you considered replacing the pups in the Squier?

I'm as susceptible to GAS as the next guy, but if the only issue with the Squier is the pups...

12. bohemond

bohemond

I should put seymor duncs in that vw squier p bass. I have 3 basses
    A Lakland skyline joe osborn jazz in teal green metallic that i use for drop tunings. The vm i use for standard and a hwy 1 p bass with flats i dont use for anything. I need another bass that i can use for Eb tunings. 3 workable basses for the shows

13. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

14. bohemond

bohemond

Just ordered the yamaha 504.

15. Tubbers

Tubbers

Got the Yamaha in white. Best decision of my life in regards to a mid-range bass. Plays like something that you'd spend big bucks on!