ESP LTD Elite J-4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jay loren, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

2. Blankandson

Blankandson

Bass player in church praise band in Boca Raton uses one. Not as nice looking as this one. He plays a lot of jazz with it. Sounds fine for praise music. He plays through a GK 2x10 combo with EQ set flat. I played it several Sundays while he was gone and rolled the bass in on the GK and it had some punch to it. I had a little time adjusting to the neck but I don't remember why now. He's had his maybe 5-6 years so he must like it.
  3. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

These basses are the SAME as ESP Standard line, just a little "downgraded" versions. Really well made instruments. Only thing I didn't like was the preamp. Everything else was flawless.
    Modern sounding jazz bass. Thats a sweet deal on that one!
  4. jay loren

This must be a different ESP model, Blankendson.
    The LTD Elite J-4 was introduced last year, I believe.

Mr. Typhus, I could not find any info on the ESP Standard line you are referring to, at least not anything that resembles the Elite J-4 visually.

Interesting how few people have played or own this bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. snarebear

snarebear

As much as I like LTD's, I don't think Iwould pay a grand for one. My C 304 cost 1/3 as much and plays and looks outstanding.
  7. sevdog

sevdog

This.

Are they worth a grand when compared to other thousand dollar basses? I would say absolutely. They are built extremely well.

BUT they have very poor resale value so if you hunt around and are patient you will probably be able to find one used for significantly less than $1000.
  8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

These are made in Japan.

That's a very good deal on an active jazz bass.
  9. jay loren

Thank you all for your opinions.
    Very much appreciated.
    I'll take sevdog's advice and try to find a used one.
  10. James Hill

James Hill

Mine will be arriving via Fed Ex today. My wife ordered it as a early birthday gift from American Musical. I've really been impressed with my ESP Precision so I'm hoping this one will be at least as good. The made in Japan instruments seem to be quality instruments from my experience.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014