1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ESP LTD Viper 404

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xbrandonx, Nov 2, 2008.

1. xbrandonx

xbrandonx

Just picked this up from a local store.

They had $400 on it, they told me that they'd do $350 out the door, I asked for $320 and they said no so $350 it was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know these have a rap for being a "metal" bass but hey, that's what I play mostly. I still have my fender P/J bass for when needed.

-Set-Neck
    -Mahogany Body
    -Flamed Maple Top
    -Rosewood Fingerboard
    -Grover Tuners
    -String-Thru-Body
    -EMG 35DC (B) / 35CS (N) Active p.u. w/ EMG B64 3-Band Active EQ
    -Creme binding on top only

Even though the neck is finished, it still plays great. I like the neck on it just as much if not more then my jazz neck (still haven't played on it very much though so I may be jumping the gun)

I'm gonna have to put some heavier strings on it since I tune down and hopefully that will take care of what very little buzzing its having if not it may need a slight truss rod adjustment.

Its in very very good shape with little buckle rash on it, however its going to be my main player and as much as I hate to say it I know its going to get a nick here or there anyways. I usually like instruments that someone else has already put a scuff or 2 in it so the heartbreak of taking away the mint condition is on them and not me.

Overall though, I'm very satisfied with it. I put a DiMarzo clicklock on it right after the pics, it came with Dunlop strap buttons on it but no strap or locks so alot of good that does. Only could be better if it wasn't made in Korea.

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric Supporting Member

I think you paid too much, though enjoy the bass!

3. xbrandonx

xbrandonx

New prices are $670-700 and there is one on ebay right now BIN (or best offer) for $400 and $55 shipped so even if I got that one for $295 I'd be paying the same price and I wouldn't have been able to try it out.

I think I did just fine.

It also came with the case its sitting in for the pics and they go for $119 (musician's friend new price). Only thing is I don't like how its set up for you to put your own lock on it instead of a built in key/combination lock

4. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

He got a great deal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. xbrandonx

xbrandonx

I think I got about what they'd go for in fair-good condition and mine is in near mint.

Regardless of how much I paid, I'm happy with it which in the end is all that matters and believe it was worth $350 and probably would have paid the full $400 if they were set on it.

7. DaveF

DaveF

"Out the door" means tax included. So $300 for a roughly $600 bass in perfect condition is a good deal. 50% off any bass is a good deal.

8. xbrandonx

xbrandonx

$329 + 6% sales tax would be $350. I tried to get it for $300 which would have been the $320 out the door I asked for but it wasn't happening.

Asking price would have been $424 so I saved $74 on their asking price. I saved about 18%.

9. rustynuts

rustynuts

You're in Shelbyville? Did you buy it up in Louisville or is there a shop in Shelbyville?

Nice bass, by the way.

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Great deal imho. I like these basses, Gibson could learn alot by checking these out.

11. ryan(MAIDEN)

ryan(MAIDEN)

12. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

Not a $600 bass.
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-VIPER154DX-Bass-Guitar?sku=516190

Looks like he paid retail. Doesn't matter though, I think it's a nice bass. I really like the SG body shape, but don't really like the Epi's. OP, let us know how it plays, I'm curious.

EDIT: Never mind about the link I posted. It just occurred to me that it's not the same bass.

13. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Disclosures:
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    While it may look the same, it's a different model.

he bought a Viper 404, on the one on MF is a Viper 154dx.

14. Huge

15. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Disclosures:
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    not to jack the thread, but do you think with one of these esp ltd vipers could pull off a stingray-ish sound?

I've always had an eye on them just because I think they look awsome.

16. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

I own three ESP's and while none of them are Vipers...to answer your question....No i don't think the EMG's could pull off a ray sound...unless ofcourse you replaced them....lol :D

Nice bass I think he got a really good buy and if he's happy with it don't knock him...

to the OP if this is your first ESP welcome to the club....

17. ysand

ysand

Nice bass with VERY nice p'ups and eq imo :D

18. xbrandonx

xbrandonx

Yeah, there is a major difference between the 404 and 154

http://www.espguitars.com/basses_viper.html

Set neck VS bolt on
    Grover tuners VS ESP
    Flag inlays VS dot
    no binding

and RustyNuts I got it in Louisville at Guitar Emporium on Bardstown road.

19. rustynuts

rustynuts

In the Highlands? I haven't been there in a while, I should probably drop in sometime.

20. Huge

Yeah it took me a few minutes to realize I had erred. My bad.

21. xbrandonx

xbrandonx

Yeah, not far from the old doo wop (well I guess technically its still doo wop even though everything caught fire) and right beside Book and Music Exchange.

I was just around there and decided to drop in, usually they don't have much used but I just got lucky.