ESP neck relief with low light strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JPrinos, Dec 29, 2013.

1. JPrinos

JPrinos

It has been about 3 or 4 weeks since I picked up my ESP LTD B-206.

The bass had a really light set of strings on it. Measured with my calipers:
    B .130"
    E .08"
    A .07"
    D .048"
    G .03"
    C .02"

The setup of the bass as I received it was laughable. Intonation was way off and the action at the 12th fret was too high to be practical.

I have lowered the action and set the neck relief to be small enough to disallow any fret-buzz at the first 5 frets. Repeatedly, over about a weeks time, the neck relief decreases to the point where fret buzz reappears in somewhere in the first 5 frets.

The last time I adjusted the truss rods, I ran out of thread (i.e. no more adjustment available).

Has anyone else run into the problem where the string tension doesn't seem enough to allow for adequate string relief on a bass's neck?

Is my only option to get strings of higher tension?
  2. Bobster

Bobster

Hi JPrinos,

Couple of questions, if you don't mind...

Is this a new instrument? If so, I'm a bit confused. My Ltds have shipped with Cleartone Strings http://www.cleartonestrings.com/products/nickel-plated-bass-strings/

And they don't have an .08 E string. I would recommend finding out what strings are on your bass (did dealer change?).

I would think a heavier set is called for. You can also contact ESP customer support to find out what they recommend, and I will be surprised if this is it. http://www.espguitars.com/pages/support (they normally take about 2 days to respond).

If this is used, then yes, I'd recommend a heavier set and possibly a washer or two on the truss.

Let us know how everything goes.

Bob
  3. JPrinos

JPrinos

Yup, a used instrument. I normally play with heavier strings but was willing to check these light ones for while. I will drop ESP a quick email as well. Thanks for the suggestion.
  4. JPrinos

JPrinos

Just picked up a set of D'Addario EXL170-6 regular light gauge Nickels. Certainly enough tension now to use the truss rods to put the neck where I want (flat). Just adjusted the relief and action. Next the intonation.
  5. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

You said your getting buzz in the first 5 frets. You also said you have now run out of truss rod adjustment, trying to get rid of the buzz. You need to loosen it.

[​IMG]

:bag::bassist::D
  6. JPrinos

JPrinos

Was loosening with the original strings. Now I can tighten, Yay!
  7. elBandito

elBandito

He probably meant, there's no more thread to loosen, before the truss rod nut falls out.
  8. Bobster

Bobster

Just to confirm,

Stock string diameter from ESP vs set diameter at purchase:

B - .125 .130
    E - .105 .080
    A - .085 .070
    D - .065 .048
    G - .045 .030
    C - .030 .020

Looks like the E, D, G and C strings were considerably lighter than stock.

Bob
  9. JPrinos

JPrinos

Certainly looks that way. With the new strings, I 've had to tighten on the truss rods and the neck is holding where I've set it. :)
  10. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

Well that makes a lot more sense. Doh I've never heard of a neck doing that before, with strings on.