1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ESP truss-rod repair

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xhawk5, Feb 1, 2014.

1. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Hi folks. I recently got a really nice ESP C-305 in and the truss-rod socket is somewhat stripped.
    I've tried hex 4mm and it skips, 4.5 doesn't go in. SAE: same thing. I was able to get it to turn, but very little due to the stripped socket.

Ok, I was thinking on stirring up a dot of JB weld, squeezing it into the socket, then inserting a 4mm hex key (covered in silicone lube so it can be removed easily after hardening).
    Will this work?
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Is the nut removable or is it the "fixed" jobby you find with a dual-acting rod? Either way, here's a couple thing that may work:

*Take a 4.5 hex key and gently grind some material off each of the 6 aspects. A dremel tool is great for this.

*In extreme cases, I've used a burr bit and cut a slot across the nut to accommodate a flat head screwdriver.

Riis
  3. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

I need to look closer at the socket. I guess it should be removable, not sure if this bass has a dual TR. Probably not.
    Will try the 4.5mm trick first. Thank you.

Anyone else?

[​IMG]
  4. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

If you can tighten it a little before it slips, loosen it while you still can and find a suitable replacement. There's been so many threads here about completely mangled TR nuts that folks can't remove, if I ever have that issue I'm replacing it ASAP.
  5. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

It still moves and is adjusted perfectly. I was just looking for a solution to a possible future issue. Thx for the info.
  6. RSBBass

RSBBass

Ball end wrenches work well. I am with Immigrant, it is worth while to replace the nut. When it is of clean and lube the threads with a dry lube.
  7. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

WooHoooo... got it off. Now to find another. Wow, that was alot of work, and I didn't mangle anything! :)
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I probably would of never thought to replace it.
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

We're here to help...you do believe that, don't you Danny? Hope the project goes well.

Riis
  9. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

The nut came loose, but I found out it's a dbl-action rod. Nut will not come off unless the board is removed. Ugh. So the seller took it back and refunded me my money. Too bad, it was a nice bass.