ESP USA!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

The ESP Guitar Company is proud to announce the upcoming opening our first-ever USA-based factory. The new ESP USA factory is located in North Hollywood, CA, a short distance from our USA headquarters.

“This is a significant milestone for ESP,” says ESP President Matt Masciandaro. “For years there has been a demand for a domestic factory, allowing us to create guitars that are 100% made in the USA. Weʼre very excited about the new opportunities for ESP dealers, and new choices for our customers.”

But wait; the news gets even better. Opening in 2014, the factory will be producing a new line of ESP USA guitars. This new brand will be added to ESPʼs existing worldwide brands, including ESP, LTD, and the new E-II series, coming in 2014. The worldrenowned ESP custom shop will remain in its current location in Tokyo. The new USA facility will be crafting a series of production models on a limited basis during its first year of operation, ramping up as demand for the new line increases. ESP USA instruments will initially be available through a select group of ESP dealers.

To understand what huge news this is, here’s a little history for you. Ever since ESP was founded in 1975, we’ve done all of our manufacturing outside the U.S.A. with the exception of a few pieces during a very limited period over 12 years ago. Our premier quality ESP brand is made in the ESP-owned and operated Japan facility, and our more affordable LTD line is made in various locations throughout Asia. With the exception of the very small number of U.S.A. guitars from those earlier days, this the first time that a musician will be able to buy an ESP that’s made in the USA.

The official launch of the ESP USA brand will be at the 2014 Winter NAMM Show, and as usual, weʼll be posting information and photos the moment that these exciting new guitars are shown to the public. Stay tuned!

http://www.espguitars.com/articles/1963598-esp-opens-first-usa-factory
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Great.. but without the USA price tags I hope? :p
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yeah right. I predict they will be expensive. Their Custom Shop prices were insane in the 90s and those were MIA.
  4. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

I heard they are dropping the LTD Elite line out. ESP Standard series is now E-II everywhere.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Having looked at several ESP basses and not understanding why their prices are so low, I would assume they are made overseas. Are their current basses any good?
  7. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

One of my fav bass builders. I have a Japanese built (Vintage4 ), a Chinese (Vintage 204 ) and a Vietnamese (214 Fretless) and they are all great basses . Excellent value across the line.
  8. Bobster

Bobster

I have an Ltd B-1004 (Korean) and a Surveyor-4 (Indonesian). They are very well made and have very good electronics (EMG). Both have lifetime warranties, and I got both new for very slightly more than the cost of a Lakland Skyline.

I was shocked when I played the B-1005, and liked it so well I bought the Surveyor and am extremely happy with it as well. These are excellent active basses, IMHO as good as other popular manufacturers, but the "metal" reputation seems to hurt their business with TB'ers.

The vintage 2XX series actually seems to be taking some business away from Squier, at a slightly lower cost, and they have a very reasonably priced unlined fretless P/J in the Vintage 214/FL.

I wish them well with the US series!

Bob
  9. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

I have tried all of their basses from the entry level all the way to their top of the line Standards.....and they are consistent across the entire spectrum

I own 5 of various models and they make up the bulk of my current collection

i even have a six string guitar from ESP that i absolutely love...EC100FM ASB
    (Try getting flamed maple, Duncans, Graphite nut, and abalone inlay and binding for $800.00 NEW!! elsewhere!!)

they offer woods and options nobody else does....at great price points

IMHO they are great basses....Highly underrated
  10. knumbskull

knumbskull

interesting... I've always liked the look of ESPs out of all the "modern" style manufacturers (read: "metal" ;) ). all things being equal the new USA models should be pretty tasty.

one of my guitarists uses a Standard series Viper, it's a stunning instrument.
  11. Ken J

Ken J Coginchaug New Horizons Band/Skinning Cats Gold Supporting Member

I've never owned a ESP bass and don't know if I'd own one in the future but I have to applaud ESP for an effort bring industry back to the states

Thank you
  12. blueskyjaunte

blueskyjaunte ^- Mwahnster Supporting Member

Why, for the love of all that is Low End, would a company choose to start a factory in one of the most expensive states in the USA?

Without the economies of scale enjoyed by Fender I predict anything coming out of the ESP USA plant will be priced in the stratosphere.
  13. BassikLee

BassikLee

Disclosures:
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I have a Surveyor 415, great bass. EMG 40P in the neck, the splittable EMG MM pickup in the bridge, EMG three band preamp, all in a bass that was around $400 new
  14. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

They are headquartered in Japan? Probably any US state is cheaper than expanding anywhere in Japan. Especially since US labor costs have come down some the last few years.

My guess is these will be $2k+ basses and guitars. The high end market in the US is doing very well these days; the doctor/lawyer-musician market.
  15. Bluedevilxx

Bluedevilxx

I owned an LTD EC-1000 guitar that was unbelievably nice. Still easily the most playable, lightweight and good looking guitar I've owned. All the basses I've played from them seem to fall right in the same line
  16. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

+1
  17. chinmullet

chinmullet

I think the new E-II branding thing is a big miss. I understand the desire to protect their high end business, but they can do this and still leverage their great brand. Tag them "ESP USA" or something, two positives, vs some unknown new E-II label.

Like the LTD line, these E-II instruments will be discussed as "not real ESPs" vs "real ESPs MIA" which is the whole damn point. :scowl:
  18. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I had an early 80's Surveyor from Japan that was very nice.
    Didn't they used to make a "400 Series" that was really great and that was used by touring pro's like the Stones?
  19. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Yes they had a 400 series . They pop up used from time to time in the 5-600 range. The Vintage 4 is closest thing to these available new. Reliced and factory Duncan vintage hots in p / j. Very nice basses.
  20. molteni

molteni

us production in cali? come to michigan were the water is clear and the beer is killer!
  21. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius Supporting Member

One of my parts basses has an ESP/Japan body. Tone for days!