ESP Vs Squirer ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M4verick, Dec 28, 2012.

1. M4verick

M4verick

Hi,

I'm thinking about switching my Washburn t14 starter bass for something with Jazz pickups, I know that it's not much of an upgrade but I don't like the precision pickups very much.

I was thikng about those two basses ?

http://www.fender.com/en-PL/products/vintage-modified-jazz-bass-70s

http://www.espguitars.com/basses/ltd-standard-deluxe/j-204.html

At the moment I'm leaning toward ESP, as I hear bad things about Fender's (Squirer as well) durability but what would you recommend and why ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
  2. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

ESP... Quality over name.
  3. jabsys

jabsys

If it was a proper ESP, but it's a LTD, I'd pick a Squier VM or CV over a LTD any day.
  4. johnson79

johnson79

I've heard good things about both. I'd say play both and see which you like best.
    There are lots of Squier fans on TB.

I really like the classic vibe jazz, but that's more than either of these. Might be worth checking out that one too if it's in your budget.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jumpno

Jumpno

the Vintage Modified Jazz Basses are, in my opinion, FAR superior to the LTD. Quality of those squire basses has been very good historically (use the search function for the VM basses). I have found LTD's quality very... questionable in my experiences, but I guess they just weren't for me
  7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I'd go with the ESP over the Squier. Trying them both will be your best bet, as you are the ultimate decision. Which fits you better. Quality wise, they are very similar, the esp is sliightly more consistent, and the sound is better, but the Squier is more common if you need to replace parts.
  8. stepswork4me

I've got both a Squier and an Ltd. The Ltd is nice. The Squier is junk. Just sayin'.
  9. El-Bob

El-Bob

I have experience with both... I would say that the LTD is absolutely the better bass. Squier is popular, and they are very good in this price range... but the LTD is better, IMO. Take the comments here with a grain of salt: Squier will get more votes because it's better known around TB, not because it's necessarily better than the LTD.
  10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Esp ltd as the better bass easilly.
  11. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Awesome, another spelling for "Squier". :D

The LTD has one more fret.
    The Squier has a slighter better resale value.

Try to them before you decide.

wraub
  12. LarryCrabtree

LarryCrabtree Supporting Member

I have never owned an ESP bass but I have owned a Squier or two. The CV ones are really good. I had a CV Jazz and traded it to a friend for his beat up MIM Jazz. I think the CV was a better instrument. I would also recommend although it is not mentioned here, that you check out TBs classifieds. There are usually some very good basses listed there that are reasonable. I actually got my Squier medium scale P from these classifieds and it is my go to bass for most things. Even over the MIM Jazz.
  13. zachoff

zachoff

Huh... Haven't played that LTD. I'd play both & see which one you like more. If that'd been an active LTD I'd have said Squier in a heartbeat, but it's not.
  14. alfred88

alfred88

I have a VM, nice bass but a bit on the heavy side, close to
    11 pounds. If that doen't bother you, buy that one.
    The ESP with alder body should be a couple pounds lighter.

You should try both, then decide.

Happy Holidays
  15. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Not just because it's better known, it's because those who know (played/owned) Squiers know that they are quality basses. They are popular for a very good reason, and it's not "familiarity".
  16. stepswork4me

Mine is junk.
  17. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I've seen and played a few of both brands in stores but I don't own either one. In my opinion the ESP/LTD and Squier basses are comparable in quality. I'm not sure what you heard about Fender/Squier durability or where but I have four Fender MIMs, two are a decade or more old, and they all have a ton of faithful service left in them. I don't think you have anything to fear about the durability of the Squier. I've played the five string version of that Squier and it is a great bass. I don't think I've ever even seen that LTD but I have played the spalted maple B-20X basses and they are equally great and quite lovely besides.

Personally I would probably go with the LTD because if you post about it here and accidentally call it an LDT no one will notice or care. Dare to call your Squier a Squire or Squirer and you will be tarred and feathered!!

Ken ;)
  18. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

So, that's what, one? Out of many hundreds of others who've gotten great ones? What's your point?
  19. El-Bob

El-Bob

Sure, but the LTD is quality too, just lesser known. Hence less attention. They're both great brands, especially in that price range, I just favor LTD.
  20. knumbskull

knumbskull

what kind do you have, out of interest? i've been impressed with their newer stuff.
  21. stepswork4me

My point is that I disagree with you. I don't believe that they're consistanly quality. I believe that the name sells more than you think. Just my take.