1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ESP, you will be mine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Figjam

Figjam

ESP LTD Vintage 204

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cant wait to feel that slightly distressed neck.

Im not really into or against relicing, it really depends on how it feels. I have played a roadworn P that blew my mind, and this is my attempt at that but for cheaper.

Should arrive next week!

Anyone have these?

Attached Files:

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I have the 214 non distressed version. When I read about the differences, it was my understanding that the finish over the neck is the same. They just use some sort of oil to make it look worn before the finish is applied.

Btw, you are going to love it. Plays very nice, neck feels great, and the pickups are pretty hot. The P is beefy with a very nice growl and low end.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Thanks much. I have heard the P is definitely what makes it shine. As long as the J isnt complete crap I will be happy. Whats the neck thickness like?

4. tastybasslines

I thought the J was a bit thin sounding and replaced it with a Bartolini. This bass is so versatile now. And I can leave it out without worrying about damage basically. The neck is a standard P width.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lixisoft

lixisoft Supporting Member

I have 2 of them, both alder bodies, black distressed finish, one with a rosewood fretboard and one with a maple fretboard. One setup with flats the other with rounds, the pickups and the hardware are very good quality. Mine shipped with Cleartone round wound strings on them, I am very impressed with the strings, I left them on the maple one and put Labella flats on the Rosewood one. The last thing I needed was another P style bass, but these were so good and so dirt cheap I got them to use for bar gigs and leave my older P-basses at home (a '62, '64, and '68), they don't need any upgrades IMHO. I just wish I could have found some in sunburst as cheap as I got the black ones for !! Let us know how you like yours after you get a chance to play it.

7. Figjam

Figjam

It has arrived.

I quite enjoy it! It feels solid and nicely balanced. The pickups sound good enough. They might lack a bit of 'sizzle' on the top end.

Construction seems good. The fret ends are a little sharp which is a temporary issue. I misplaced my fret file but I will figure something out. The distressed finish is well done for such a cheap bass. I think the neck looks great. Fingerboard is a little too 'new' for me, especially juxtaposed with the relic job. I added some oil to it. Fingerboard wood is nice and thick. The frets are jumbo; which I do not love. That said, the fretjob seems good!

Money well spent. Once I get the fret ends smooth it should be a keeper.

Thanks

8. tastybasslines

Awesome!

Was the neck finish as I described? Or different in some way?

9. Figjam

Figjam

I think you nailed it.
    Looks great.

Looking broken in and feeling broken in are two different things. This does have a nice vintage-y feeling finish, but the edges of the fingerboard are not rolled, like you would find on a Fender RW. The huge frets also make it feel like a modern bass.

Attached Files:

• esp3.jpg
      esp3.jpg
      File size:
      187.3 KB
      Views:
  10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Looks like a very cool bass congrats

11. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Joey Vera has one with EMG-X PJ pickups installed. He used it on the drop-tuned songs on the new Fates Warning record (I Am, not sure about others).

Have fun with it! Looks like a great bass; if I still played 4 strings I'd be all over one of those.

12. Figjam

Figjam

I filed the frets and also gave the fingerboard a slight roll. It feels much much MUCH better.

Definitely a keeper.

Does anyone know what size allen key fits the truss?

13. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    i think it is a 5mm....maybe 4mm. you can see my vintage 204 in my avatar. love it. my frets were file perfectly from the factory. actually, one of the best feeling necks I've played on in the fender style. i like it more than my old american deluxe jazz and every squire or mim precision i've ever played.

the stock p'ups were ok, but the dimarzios really make it sing, and growl. it gives me the string-to-string balance my stocked ones lacked.