Esperanza Spalding in Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Esperanza Spalding is the lead interview in the latest issue of Bass Player. It is also the best interview I have read in Bass Player in a very long time. I already loved Spalding, but I am becoming a total fanboy of hers. I just admire her dedication to music. Often I read an interview and I want to go check out their gear or buy their CD ( I do plan on buying Spalding new CD,) but after reading Esperanza's interview, I just wanted to practice! She is so doggone serious that it is infectious!

I also dig the fact that she seems to be an almost total non-gearhead. She just plays that Jazz because Fender gave it to her. It is also pretty evident that she is not super deep into bass guitar yet, but she is learning. I hope she does not get to deep into the tradition, because I think she brings a really unigue voice to bass guitar. That is why I cringed a bit when she said she was getting into slapping. I love slap, but I fear her just sounding like everyone else. That said, it was cool how she was impressed with Prince slapping her fretless (she didn't know fretless could be slapped!:D)

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    No matter what technique she uses she's still going to sound like herself. I admire her total immersion, but she has been on the path for a while, rising up through the ranks in community orchestras.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Doesn't hurt that she's totally hot too.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

Phil, I know you are right. She will always sound like Esperanza Spalding whether she slaps, plays with a pick, or decides to use the stereotypical Jaco back pickup tone on her fretless. Still, I think the fact that she was not deep into electric bass has allowed her to come to the bass guitar, especially fretless with an open mind and few preconceptions.

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

She seems like a beautiful woman through and through. She's also an incredible musician and singer.

8. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Got ticket to see her play here next month. Really looking forward to it!

9. Dr. Cheese

As cute as she is, I find myself not caring because she is just so smart and utterly driven to be great.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

These are qualities that make her attractive as well. She is the total package. I would love to see her play sometime.

11. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

So she wa opening for Prince and he picked up her bass and slapped on it. I wonder how Prince's audience took that, I trust no Justin Bieber fans were there? However I do remember the stories of Rolling Stones' fans booing Prince when he opened for them around the time that Little Red Corvette was a hit

12. Lync

Lync

Plus, she sings great...hot female bassist that sings and plays double bass too...WIN!

13. electracoyote

electracoyote

Great interview. She plays a 7/8 upright. Her Fender fretless was a good call on their part as she is quite the Jaco fan.

And, yeah Cheese, I don't notice her good looks either (cough, cough...)

14. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Esperanza = proof that The Creator loves all kinds of beauty!

15. Dr. Cheese

Hey, I know I sound like the white guy who says he doesn't see color, but when I hear her talk about music, she is so profound. Her looks really take a back seat to her words.

I'm joking. My cellphone has no smilies!

16. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

I for one would be very interested to hear where she takes slap, if she decides to explore that path further.

/rick

17. Dr_Funkdamental

Dr_Funkdamental

Got my ticket too. Its for NC in May and the tickets are almost sold out already.

18. Dr_Funkdamental

Dr_Funkdamental

Oh yeah, Im stationed with a guy that had a class with her at Berklee and said yeah shes for real about music. It also seemed to be a ray of sunshine whenever she walked in the room lol.

19. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

She is 100% real no hype...very excited about her future ...

20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

As long as she doesn't fall in the Em pentatonic stuff all slapper seems to fall into I'm all good with her

21. bottomzone

bottomzone

A very good read. It's also interesting that both Esperanza and Stanley Clarke had enough respect for Q-Tip's skills to use him on their projects.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool: