1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Essex Bass Club - Part 13

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

2. squashedOpossum

squashedOpossum

OK, I'll start off the new thread by posting my SXs (I've had these for awhile, but I don't think I've ever posted them together.) The sunburst now has standard jazz knobs and a Hipshot string retainer on it, but other than that both of these are stock (except for strings, of course), and SO sweet. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

[​IMG]
  3. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

And i'll repeat my post from the last thread.

I wish Kurt would request a bass with a pickup in the musicman sweet spot. I'm not talking about a stingray copy either.
  4. BrewskiBassist

BrewskiBassist

I wish he could do a music man copy. I'd such it up so fast!!!!
  5. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

They can't. I heard musicman warned kurt 3 times. The last time with legal action.
  6. BrewskiBassist

BrewskiBassist

I know, I was just expressing my hopeless dreams of an SX music man copy :bawl:
  7. Legattabass

Legattabass

There are fewer than 10 of each variety of Douglas Lyra fretless left on Rondo. Has anyone tried one out? A $110 fretless is really tempting. I wouldn't feel guilty for trying to learn and giving up at that price!
  8. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I really like the SX fivers, get a good one and they're keepers.
  9. squashedOpossum

squashedOpossum

One of the main selling points for SX jazz basses is the 70's pup spacing. You can't get that in a Fender 5 string. Definitely not for under $200!
  10. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    The necks are confortable too, I like the spacing and the overall feel is just comfy to my hand.
  11. Ayce

Ayce

Sub'd for future reference. :)
  12. dabbler

dabbler

'possum,

If you EVER think of gettin rid of that fretless give me a holler!

[​IMG]
  13. squashedOpossum

squashedOpossum

Everytime you post that pic, I always see the missing piece. ;-)

Sorry to disappoint you dab, but my LPB SX fretless is the one bass I would grab if there were ever a fire. :D
  14. dabbler

dabbler

LOL! I hear ya, and I DO know what you mean... but I think you would probably have a bass in EACH hand! :cool:
  15. sammyp

sammyp

Got these both in the last month to go with my Warwick Taranis .....i really don't know what models they are ....i think the maple is called a Ursa ...not sure about the blue Pbass ....they rock ..i know that.

Attached Files:

16. BrewskiBassist

BrewskiBassist

17. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Have any of you sold more expensive "better" basses and kept your SX('s)? I've had a lot of really nice basses but I knew I was in trouble when I bought my SX jazz for $100 at GC. With Chromes it's chunky and clear sounding. My wife likes the sound better than my G&L L2000 Tribute. I modified the L2000's electronics for more options and my favorite option sounds just about like... my SX.

Now I'm considering selling the G&L, buying an SX P, and pocketing the rest of the cash.

What would you do?
  18. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    A bass is made of assembled wood, plastic and metal. It knows not what country it was made in nor who made it. If it sounds good and plays well, it's a keeper in my book no matter how much or how little it cost me.
  19. dabbler

dabbler

Okay, I'm biased and maybe a little spoiled... but it's all Kurt's fault! My second bass was an SX and, well my BEST bass (Brice) came from Rondo. As a result of this and all of the other stuff I have bought from rondo over the years my motto has become, "Why pay more?"

Some people would rather have a "name brand" bass for some reason or another... I'm not one of those people.
  20. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I'm with you guys! I'm seriously considering selling the G&L and getting myself an SX P! Probably the sunburst ash one with blocks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.