Essex(SX) 6 String Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BootzillaSun, Sep 12, 2012.

1. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

I think there should be a club for this Grate Bass. Here is mine I just got it today:bassist::hyper: Holy cow what a bass for $169:hyper:. [​IMG] ,[​IMG] , [​IMG] .[​IMG] .

chuck norriss likes this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

Naw, if we make a club, everybody will know how nice they are and the price might go up!

[​IMG]

And our you really wanna see how nice it is, change the strings.

3. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

I am really thinking of taking the pick guard off , has anyone done this?i I would love to see a pic before take it off .OH and suggestions for nice set of low price strings.

4. lofreek

lofreek

My red 6 arrives tomorrow. Funny how after 40 plus years of playing a new bass gets still gets the adrenaline going, even one as low cost as this.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Mine should arrive tomorrow also!

7. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

Gotta love the speed of their shipping.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I want one of these so bad. If I can't secure that bottle of Sam Adams Utopia, I'm buying one of these.

9. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

10. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

That's 15 new SX 6 string owners can't wait to here and see the mods they make.I am thinking about a cheap $15 2 band active eq and new set of strings ASAP.

11. etechstan

etechstan

I got a little snobbish and got rid of my two SX Jazz copies and then missed them but couldn't get used to the changed headstock. Saw the block and bound necks on the Rondo site and had to buy one. Now I need a body. I would prefer a Thunderbird but may settle on a Jazz. An idea where to find a Tbird body?

Sorry, just saw this was a 6 string thread. Disregard.

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Mod Report:

No, not on the last batch. I"m a previous SX 6er buyer.

I just finished modding my last SX 6. I <gasp> ripped the fingerboard off it and installed an Ebony "blank plank" fingerboard to make it fretless. Well, it's done and I'm not especially happy with it.

It's ALL great except there is something not so good about the tone. Now we know that the 6er pickups are a bit weak, but I never had a problem with them on the other two (SX 6 fretted with rounds and one with flats) But I think the problem is I ALSO did the fretless conversion on my Ursa 5er. And let me tell you that 5er is hands down one of the most AMAZING fretless basses I ever played!

But when I compare to the 6er it doesn't measure up. The 6er is weak. Which means noise and hum are more noticeable. And it sounds "clanky" and sort of thin. I've adjusted everything and it doesn't much help. So as a last ditch effort I ordered a pair of Hippo pickups from Australia (about the only drop-in replacements) to see what that does.

But I forgot about the reverse-winding thing between bridge and neck and the new pickups may be both the same! Time will tell what I need to do on that one!

So anyway that's the report on the fretless conversion so far. Once the new pickups come I can report what I found.

13. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

love mine so much i tried to eat it. i have yet to change the strings (im a cheapass!) and at some point i'd like to swap out the neck pickup for something hot and noiseless (as the stock pickups are inherently weak and noisy). also looking into a custom PG because the black and white look is a little too pedestrian. and maybe someday black hardware? i havent decided.

[​IMG]

14. bassramos

bassramos Supporting Member

Are they still using cheap strings on these 6's? I bought one and it has light gauge strings with red silk. Are they using LaBellas now?

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

I've heard the Labella story, but quite frankly I've NEVER bought an SX bass (I own 7 of them...3 sixers!) that didn't need new strings to be decent.

I just put on my "usual" which is D'addario nickels for rounds and GHS flats. The fretless mod 6er currently has GHS pressure wounds to reduce chews and still be bright. but I'm not quite satisfied with it yet. My factory (rosewood fingerboard) SX fretless basses are either flats or ground wounds.

Factory SX strings are usually hideous.

16. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

I just odered My D'addario's and a 2band active pre-amp.

17. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

Got my new strings and 2band active preamp now just need to see how much to put them on. Oh and when you change the string you may have to make hole bigger for strings on bridge bigger. I went to put strings on and B string didn't go threw the bridge.

18. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

Well i thought we would have some more people by now.I ended up sending my red one back( nothing wrong) and got the sunburst as soon as they came in , even though is past the return time kurt exchanged it and paid return shipping. Here are my Babies with New Ursa 6 in the middle. I hope to have new strings put on after the 1st of the year(have to drill bridge hole Bstring) also will put 2band active pre-amp and new strap and straplocks . [​IMG] , [​IMG] Also when i sent kurt a message about the pic on site showing the bass with metal knobs he sent them to me at no charge. Love Rondo and My Ursa:hyper:

19. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

Hmmm, great minds think alike. I like bursts too!

[​IMG]

20. GM60466

GM60466

i have the Brice 6er. I'm happy with it.

21. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member