Essex SX Ursa 6 string hardshell case?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j1n, Dec 3, 2013.

1. j1n

j1n Guest

I just pulled the trigger on an SX 6-er. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good hardshell case (and not the Rondo one or the Musicians Gear p/j one) that will accomodate this bass?

2. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

What do you have against the rondo cases?

3. j1n

j1n Guest

Nothing really. I'm just used to more of an abs case, and I assumed that the stuff like Rondo's and the Musicians Gear cases were probably sorta flimsy(?)
    But in doing more research, Rondo might be the way to go as I believe this 14" wide behemoth will actually fit in their case.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

I have three SX sixers all with Rondo cases. They fit just fine. The cases are not that different (except for price) from those that come from Carvin or even my Alembic. They are strong enough (we are not talking welded aluminum flight cases here) but being wood are a tad heavy. Apart from the weight my major gripe with them is that after you drag them around to gigs for a while the corners which are unprotected vinyl trim get all chewed up. For that reason I've taken to screwing brass "corners" like you find on amps and cabs on the 8 corners of the cases. BIG improvement.

As for ABS cases (with the extruded aluminum frames) They are lighter and in some ways nicer, but for me it seems that sooner or later the whole thing ends up sprung and you always have to push on the lid to get it to close straight into the latches. The Rondo cases never seem to get that way.

In any event I figured that the Rondo cases are cheap enough and way better than gig bags for protection and even better the tuners don't get bumped and detuned when hauling the bass around. But the weight and size of the hard case isn't too practical if you are schlepping a bass around a NYC subway or something. Then a "backpack" gig bag does make sense.

5. Register to disable this ad