1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Este HAIM

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mbernard110, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mbernard110

mbernard110

I just saw her on Kimmel last night, and her groove blew me away! Probably the best female bass performance I've seen since esperanza spalding. I've heard of HAIM but never checked out the reason behind all the hype until now.
    Anyways, here's the link...

2. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I caught them on SNL and they were one of the first bands to grab my attention on there in a long time, very cool pop. I love her sister's vocal delivery too.
  3. mbernard110

mbernard110

Agreed... Not necessarily a groundbreaking sound, but definitely a fresh sound and great style.
  4. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I like her use of lipstick to enhance her bass face.
  5. John Schoen

John Schoen

I like her playing on that song but I think she overdoes it with everything else. That is not grooving to the music, that is a caricature.
  6. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

+1
  7. ghostfather

ghostfather

She is a ham. I think she may look back on her stage persona and cringe. But she can play for sure, that's the bottom line.
  8. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

I agree... she makes faces like Duanne Allman..... but her playing is not that technical... haha.
  9. LAST_C

LAST_C

I like how she plays and her "bass face" is awesome. She seems to really enjoy what she's doing. And I love that butterscotch p-bass. Might get one myself.
  10. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Couldn't get past the vocals. Ouch.
  11. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

+1. That was the first I'd heard of Haim.

Real good pop tunes, good musicianship, too. Impressive.
  12. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I hate both the band (bbc's best new sound of 2013? really?) and her ridiculous exaggerated bass faces. Anyone who pulls those type of bass faces needs several slaps on the back of the head. That is my opinion, anyway.
  13. jake3

jake3

I think they're pretty good. They kind of mix a Fleetwood Mac type sound with a TLC type sound. Our (female) lead singer wants to do "The Wire" and I'm down with that. Good bass parts in their songs.
  14. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

You have to put some bands you do like in your profile. I don't get the whole "hate" thing used against musicians!