1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ethernet over Power Powerline Converter- HDStream Kit + Integrated WIFI

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rodent, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Player/Builder/Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Anybody ever give one of these devices a try? here's a link to one for reference

[​IMG]

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?ab..._id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052102#description

I'm curious about the working across two circuits fed from the same breaker panel. from all I've read on reviews from people who use these successfully in their homes, it appears that they have success utilizing multiple circuits ... but the device instructions all state that they must be used on a single circuit

I'd like to add network access over to an outbuilding here at the RGW ranch. tunneling across the parking lot to install a conduit is beyond any ROI in my lifetime. electrical in the outbuilding is fed from the same breaker panel in the main shop, so if these are able to work across circuits this would be a super easy and inexpensive way to add network access to the CNC room

thanks for sharing any experiences you've had

R

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    They work, to an extent. Most never get anywhere near their stated throughput though. From what I've researched about them, when you cross breakers is when things get very flaky.

How far away are the connection points, and what is the intended use? If I were in your shoes, I'd probably put up a wifi yagi (high powered directional antenna).

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

What Selta said. From what I read (years ago before we went wireless), most will not work across different circuits.

If it were me, I'd get a wireless router and install a wireless access point (WAP) in the outbuilding.

4. eukatheude

eukatheude

Those can work in different circuits, but I wouldn't bet on it. I do tech support for a big manufacturer of network equipment so I know what i'm talking about. :cool:

Nothing (aside from cable) ever gets close to the stated throughput... Your 300N router is actually a 50/90N router.
    Homeplugs in ideal conditions can go up to 70/120Mbps which is nearing fast ethernet, so pretty good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

I'm a Low-Voltage technician, I install network infrastructure for a living. Is there a way to run a cable overhead or buried around the parking lot?? OSP Cat5 or Cat6 (http://shop.bizsyscon.com/cat6-550m...-1000-black/?gclid=CLv3_LP_9rwCFUqUfgodukgA-A) can run for a cable length of 100 meters total, with 90 meters being the maximum for a permanent link before signal degradation occurs when you allow for 5 meters on each side for a patch cable. But OSP is made for outdoor environments and can be run overhead by itself or in a conduit, or you can use Direct Burial cable (which is gel-filled, nasty to work with but won't flood with water) and just put it about a foot into the ground - no conduits necessary.

Another idea is to call your internet provider and see if they will run a line to the outbuilding for either a network connection or another cable modem - but you would have to see how much they would charge for that.

Peace,
    Greg

7. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I use those in my house.. they work fine. I have one in the basement where my router is.. one in the dining room where the house PC is and one in my son's room where his X-Box is.. My son plays his X Box online with no issues whatsoever.. and he also uses the house computer for school work and streaming video with no problems whatsoever. I used to use wireless but I kept having issues with it so I went this route and I have had no problems and no regrets whatsoever. The ones I use are by Netgear and it are not wireless.. but I have been using them for the past two years. I use the Powerline 100s... I imagine that the 500MPS ones would be better.. but that is all in one house... a townhouse at that .. so I imagine you would have different challenges..

8. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    the cost for permits/labor/materials to dig up 50 feet (17 meters) of pavement to lay conduit doesn't make this an option. I also cannot hang a wire overhead, and traffic would destroy a cable laying exposed on the ground

I'm not super concerned with speed as all I'm doing is pushing .txt files over to the CNC room. all of the CNC tool paths are generated into .txt format files, and a 'really large' g-code file for a bass body or neck is typically well under 500K

I'm going to give one of these units a shot. If it works reliably enough that I'm not corrupting files due to packet loss during a file pull, I can finally manage all of my g-code files on a single file server that is backed up regularly. I'll then eliminate the potential to have an outdated g-code file sitting on the CNC room's workstation

I'll post a follow-up later this week with my observations and experiences

R

9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    For that use case, I think these will work mostly OK. As long as you can get them synced up, I suspect you'll be fine. I look forward to your report :)

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You may be able to rent Big Bertha from the City of Seattle to bore you a channel for that cable. :D

-Mike

11. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

HAHAHAHAHA!! heh heh heeeehhhhh.... :/

I hope he doesn't have any metal pipes in the way.

Peace,
    Greg

12. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    I endured years of frustration commuting to Logan thru the Big Dig mess each week, am now at the opposite end of 90 dealing with the construction mess around Westlake/Mercer a couple times each week - ain't gonna be no tunneling at the RGW ranch, ya hear now?!!

:ninja:

R

13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I haven't used that brand, only Actiontec. However, these need to be on the same phase. Easy enough- if the panel has enough available spaces.