"Ethnic" Food and Matching Utensils

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    People like to eat Asian food with chopsticks, no matter how ill-practiced they are at using them, or the availability of standard utensils.

Do noodle dishes taste better when consumed with chopsticks? Why not use them on spaghetti?

Are we feigning worldliness with clumsy food intake? If so, who are we trying to fool?

If it's "fun," why limit ourselves to the occasional themed restaurant and use alternative utensils regularly?

Discuss.
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I find it easier to eat noodles with chopsticks.

Spaghetti type noodles are probably too heavy for chopsticks.
  3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I haven't noticed appreciable weight or density difference when consuming either.
  4. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

What if it's Indian food? :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Indian food should be eaten with your right hand, served on banana leaves. Well, South Indian food, anyway. :D

For a while I ate all my food with chopsticks. I am a fast eater and it was a conscious attempt to slow down. But then I got good with chopsticks and was eating fast again.
    BboogieXVII likes this.
  7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

I wonder if there are connections between the food and the way it is 'supposed' to be consumed? I've found that I pick up smaller portions when I'm eating with chopsticks. So, If I buy some Mongolian beef noodles or whatever and eat them with a fork, I can wrap huge amounts around that fork and stuff my face. Can't do that with chopsticks (or maybe I'm just not good with chopsticks).

I'd love eat Indian the 'proper way'. The banana leaf thing is a great idea - no dishes!
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I am sick and tired of Mexican restaurants not offering spoons!

-Mike
  9. fmoore200

fmoore200

Don't tell me what to do :mad:
    Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  10. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I prefer a fork. If a fork is not available I will struggle through the meal with chopsticks. I was out with some Vietnamese friends once and I noticed they picked thier rice bowls up and held them near their mouth. If I have to eat with chopsticks that helps.
  11. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

When i was a kid we always had chopsticks and i LOVED using them whenever i could. I guess i never got good with them, when i grew up i realised i was wasting time trying to eat with chopsticks. And i sucked at it. Most people i know when we go to an asian place eat with chopsticks, i'm the guy that has to ask for a fork. Sorry but in terms of evolution of utensils fork > chopsticks anytime. i mean in terms of efficiency. I think some people just like to look authentic and, if i may say, worldly... My gf is very good with chopsticks (she's really big on asian food, possibly cause she's one fourth japanese, even if she never knew her half japanese dad) but i'm pretty sure i can get the food in faster. And to me, yes, eating is a competition and i better be the one to finish first (more seriously, i eat fast but its not willingly, i just dont think about it, ive never known anyone that eats faster than i do..it's kinda shameful...i'm not even like, fat)
  12. DigMe

DigMe

After living in China and having spent a lot of time there otherwise it just feels right to me to eat Chinese food with chopsticks so I do. To me that's just how you eat it. It's not any kind of feeling of "fun" or novelty. Just feels right.

Even more so when consuming Korean Bibimbap. There is no other appropriate way to eat it than with a long wide spoon and chopsticks. It's just the way to do it. Maybe I wouldn't feel that way had I not been introduced to it in Korea.

brad
  13. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

I don't even attempt chopsticks. The only time you need a spoon is for soup and cereal.
  14. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

You can drink the soup from the bowl. Just cereal.
  15. bmc

bmc

I've been eating with chopsticks for thirty years. Asian food tastes different when eaten with a fork.

Over here, the strangest thing I've witnessed is people eating hamburgers with a knife and fork.
  16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

I prefer to be handfed by naked Balinese dusky maidens.
  17. Immigrant

Immigrant

They use chop sticks to select buds at a medical marijuana clinic I wish I could afford to frequent. They're really good at it. I never could get the hang of it but I never tried to hard either. Spoiled by forks.
  18. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

I thought that said handled, and then I thought you were in to vore...
  19. bassteban

bassteban

Yes/the masses

Edit: Speaking only for my posing arse self :)
  20. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

And we have a winner! Does that restaurant have franchises available?
  21. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I eat cheese doodles with chopsticks when I'm feeling classy.
    BboogieXVII likes this.