1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Etude Suggestions!!!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by JayPlaysBass, Dec 7, 2012.

1. JayPlaysBass

JayPlaysBass

Hey guys I just need a bit of advice. I have some auditions coming up and some cats require an etude. Any specific ones I should look at? I'll be able to work on it for a month or two so as long as it's not ridiculous I should be able to have it ready in time.

For my excerpts I'm playing Mozart 40 (1st movement), Beethoven 5 Scherzo-Trio, Verdi Otello, and Brahms 1. I'm also playing some Bach, and either Koussevitzky or Dragonetti.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
  2. ifg

ifg

If this is for undergrad, Kreutzer C Major and Simandl Book II Eb Major are strong. (A teacher once told me that the latter used to be on orchestra lists in the 80s.) Lots of schools call for Storch-Hrabe or Bille, too.
  3. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Which Koussivetsky? And a +1 on the Simandle stuff, if you can play the book I stuff well and make it interesting im sure they would take you.
  4. AClark

AClark

I did the kreutzer! I think it's a pretty solid choice