1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Etude Suggestions!!!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by JayPlaysBass, Dec 7, 2012.

1. JayPlaysBass

JayPlaysBass

Hey guys I just need a bit of advice. I have some auditions coming up and some cats require an etude. Any specific ones I should look at? I'll be able to work on it for a month or two so as long as it's not ridiculous I should be able to have it ready in time.

For my excerpts I'm playing Mozart 40 (1st movement), Beethoven 5 Scherzo-Trio, Verdi Otello, and Brahms 1. I'm also playing some Bach, and either Koussevitzky or Dragonetti.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. ifg

ifg

If this is for undergrad, Kreutzer C Major and Simandl Book II Eb Major are strong. (A teacher once told me that the latter used to be on orchestra lists in the 80s.) Lots of schools call for Storch-Hrabe or Bille, too.

3. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Which Koussivetsky? And a +1 on the Simandle stuff, if you can play the book I stuff well and make it interesting im sure they would take you.

4. AClark

AClark

I did the kreutzer! I think it's a pretty solid choice

5. Register to disable this ad