EUB or second Acoustic?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by peiisaac, Dec 10, 2013.

1. peiisaac

peiisaac

Hi Doublers,

I have rented a Yamaha Silent bass for the month while my bass is in the shop. I'm playing it in a pit orchestra setting and a little solo work and while not inspired by the sound of the Yamaha, the practicality (and affordability) of an EUB is attractive.

My upright is a 60s Kay S9, which were pretty much top-line Kays new. It's quite beat up and the problem with it currently is that the fingerboard is coming unglued. But it's got a great jazz tone and, with the Strings I have on it, a decent arco tone.

I worry that if I invest in a carved bass I will a) stop playing my Kay entirely, which I would see as a shame, or b) Play the Kay for jazz gigs and the carved top for legit gigs, but not play enough settings that I would not be able to get away with arco on the Kay.

I should say that I'm not a fan of selling my instruments. Dad sold a 59' American strat in 1980 so he could afford these cool new things called "Squier"s ;)

Would it be worthwhile to get my Kay in tip top shape, and think about looking into EUBs like ergo or NS to consider as a second bass?
  2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    For me the Yamaha Silent Bass is far superior than the NS Design bass due to the ergonomics. This is why you are able to use the bass on your gig without days or weeks of adjusting to the ergonomics. Sound wise it may be a question of what rig you're using and the strings. My Yamaha has Evahs and I usually use an AI focus and a mark bass 4 x 6 cab or a contra combo and I'm always happy with the sound. I have two carved DB's with pickups, one with a full circle, the other with a full circle and a realist.

Forgot to mention, I had a Kay, sold it as it pales in comparison to what I'm playing now.
  3. peiisaac

peiisaac

The sound with the Yamaha isn't all that bad. I would also have to get my hands on a *new* silent bass to see what it's like. The rental I have has been at the music store in town for at least five (maybe ten!) years.

I immediately swapped the strings that came on it for my Evah Pirrazi's and it played better, but the response is still not good at all compared to an acoustic. That's the most annoying part, and it seems to have a small dynamic range as a result. The sound always feels compressed.

The setup I'm currently using is the silent bass with evah's through a Behringer Bass V-Amp and into my Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 with 1x10
  4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    Which model is this, the original upper and lower frame or 2nd gen upper frame only?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. peiisaac

peiisaac

SLB200 with only the upper frame
  7. damonsmith

damonsmith

I have a nice carved German bass and an EUB. An EUB has uses in my world, a plywood bass does not (except borrowing for a one off gig out of town).
    You can get more EUB than DB for under 2k.
    If you get a carved bass you will probably not want to play the Kay.
  8. bobsax

bobsax

An EUB allows more opportunity to practice . I have a bsx allegro solid body. I can play it all night long and not bother anybody.
    . It also travels well. I can throw it in the backseat and still have room for passengers and I can take off the fingerboard then pack it in a golf bag for flying.
    I recommend bsx or Eminence. Both have removable finger boards.