1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EUB vs fretted or fretless "bass guitar" for arthritic players?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Feb 2, 2013.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Are there any opinions and experience on which style bass is "easier" to play if you have arthritis (in the hands)?
    I am thinking fretted or fretless "Fender style" vs upright vs EUB.

Both in terms of required strenght as well as reach, accuracy etc.
  2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Disclosures:
    Bassist
    I think that the most important thing is that they are very well setup, so you need the minimum effort possible to play them. if stretching your fingers on the lowest positions is painful then a medium or short scale bass might be the ticket. If you want an upright bass, then setup is critical and a shorter string length will also help, but IMO the most beneficial aspect for you would be to have a good teacher to clean up your technique as much as possible.

I hope this helps.