Euphonic Audio doubler question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SilverWood, Apr 9, 2014.

1. SilverWood

SilverWood

Hi I have a Euphonic Audio doubler with a 12" cabinet.

Can I work a second cabinet off this amp? If so how?
    I noticed a 2nd speakon input on the cabinet...is that how I link to a 2nd cab?

Finally would what the advantages be, if any, if I just got a 2x10 cab instead?

Quite new to all this...
  2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

If your 12" cab is 8ohm, yes you can add one additional 8ohm cab. Connect it either with a second cable from your amp to the second cab, or daisy chain from the first cab to the second.

The second questions depends on what the gear is. In general, two 12" cabs should get louder than a 210. But one 210 is easier to move around. If the 210 is 4ohm, it should get slightly louder than an 8ohm model.
  3. SilverWood

SilverWood

Wow thanks for the quick response.

I'm not sure about the ohms but will check. There seems to be no 2nd output from the amp so it looks like the daisy chain is the only way. Guessing the fact that the cab does have that 2nd input(output?) that it is meant for a 2nd cabinet.
  4. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Not so - it depends on the amp head's rating. In looking at the Doubler's ratings, it says it goes down to 2 ohms, so even if two 4 ohm cabinets were connected, it should handle it that 2 phm load. Normally, it seems most amp heads only go down to 4 ohms, so by connecting 2 4 ohm cabinets, you are risking damaging the cabinets and the head. But it appears you should be OK with the Doubler head.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wneff

wneff

If or if not you can add speakers to your system depends on the "Impedance" of the amplifier and of the cabinet.
    The impedance is measured in Ohm

Rule of thumb:
    - The amplifier usually has the minimum impedance written on the back. The speakers also usually have the impedance on the back plate.
    - Speakers typically have 4 or 8 Ohm
    - Amplifers typically have minimum ratings of 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm. Euphonic Audio is one of the few amplifiers that go down to 2 Ohm.

- The closer you are to the minimum impedance the more power you get into your cabs (in most cases)
    - If you go below the minimum impedance the power to the cabinet drops sharply and can damage the amplifer - never do that.

- If you combine cabinets the combined impedance is lower. Here are a few typical examples:
    - 8 Ohm + 8 Ohm -> 4 Ohm
    - 4 Ohm + 4 Ohm -> 2 Ohm
    - 4 Ohm + 8 Ohm -> 2.7 Ohm
    Three cabs
    - 8 Ohm + 8 Ohm + 8 Ohm = 4 Ohm + 8 Ohm = 2.7 Ohm

The doubler has 2 Ohm output, you can almost certainly connect the 12" and the 2x10".